Gastroenterology Community
Losing appetite, lost about 20-25 lbs in four months

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have progressively lost my appetite over the last couple of months and have lost about 20-25 lbs in about four months (down from 225 to 200-205). Been through a zillion tests. Except for some slightly elevated lipase and liver enzymes everything seems to check out ok.  Even had abdominal CT scan and endo ultrasound.  I have been told I suffer from anxiety possibly depression. But can depression do this to you? Can it make you lose 10% plus of your body weight? I force myself to eat because I know I need to, but I'm afraid to get on a scale (for the opposite reason of most other people!).  I don't know what else to do. Any non-standard tests that I should ask the doctor to do? Thanks
well... a BUNCH of those sympoms match possibly a celiac/gluten intolerance problem.  I know i'm suffering from anxiety and weight loss myself (and insomnia, IBS-C and such) so you could test or ask for a blood test testing for that...and even if it's negative (mine was 3 times) you could go on the diet of no soy/lactose/gluten/wheat for 2 weeks and see if you note any improvement..

I'm the same I got tested a billion times and blew all my money looking for answers.  Found out soy sends me totally off the cliff sick (which is also a side effect of celiac sufferers) so anyway I'd either get tested if you haven't or go gluten free and stick with it for months (since you've suffered months already).  *also the majority of celiac people get skinny because they're not absorbing any nutrients..gives us all kinds of neuro problems and vitamin deficiencies)

Good luck :S
Hi, also get an H Pylori bacteria breath test or blood test.  It's been known to cause weight loss in some people....it caused my son to lose a lot of weight.

boomer's right...could be ulcer..another idea is with elevated liver work that *could* suggest a gallbladder issue (usually a HIDA scan)
Thanks. What did you end up doing and how are you now?  How have you adjusted your lifestyle?
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even know there was such a test.
You're welcome :) ehh.. soon as I took lactose and soy out of my diet I felt a little better nausea wise but i'm still in pain, then I took gluten out and i'm still in pain but i've read from others and doctors have told me it takes months before you see an improvement but I have so many symptoms that match it.  I can't afford to do another test/endoscope to confirm it so this is my way of just..doing it.  Might as well since i've been sick so long.  Sometimes doctors are just no help (except making your wallet lighter)

If you google celiac symptoms, there's a whole range of problems it causes including anxiety and depression types..and many users have said (not all) that once you find the offending food it takes those away pretty quickly (wish that was my case)

I've read online some people feel better in days..weeks..months..just depends.  Might be something else causing it or some other allergy.  Basically i'd google malabsorbtion and read what wikipedia says, it lists the basic offenders and possibilities.

anyway the diet s u c k s ...it's hard to find things to eat, hopefully you'll have support from family and friends but you have to be totally 100% strict to make sure you're not eating gluten.  It's a super healthy diet but it just seems like i'm always hungry now..but anyway gotta do it, it's worth a shot and being sick for years i'm willing to try anything.  Good luck!
Are you having any additional symptoms such as constipation, bloody stools, narrow stools or abdominal pain. Depression and anxiety can make you loose weight. How many calories were you consuming before you started loosing weight? Because if you've really cut down on the calories and since you were over 200lbs that can make you loose weight fairly quick. If you are having any symptoms consistant with digestive problems I would maybe pursue a colonoscopy. Hope you feel better soon!
Who told you that you were suffering from depression and/or anxiety?   Have you had any changes in your life just prior to your weight lost?  If you have had all the medical tests recommended and nothing shows then I would consult a Psychologist. I would think that the weight loss w/o a reason could cause depression and/or anxiety so not have a dia. could create depression/anxiety.   Have they tested your thyroid?  You might have a hyperthyoid which requires meds.  A weight loss to that degree says something is going on.   I hope you get it resolved and get better soon.  Sue