Gastroenterology Community
Lots of Blood on Toilet Paper

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Lots of Blood on Toilet Paper

I'm a 19 year old male, no drugs, alcohol, etc.  About six months ago after a BM I noticed a lot of blood on the toilet paper.  It worried me, but disappeared after a few more BMs.  It has happened subsequently about once a month or so and is happening again currently.  I've researched internal hemorrhoids and I seem to have similar symptoms, except in every case I've read that it was small amounts of blood rather than the large amounts I've experienced.  The blood doesn't seem to be mixed into the stools and I have no straining or constipation, though usually experience diarrhea during the spells.  

Any help would be appreciated.
Avatar n tn
You need to see a doctor and have a colonoscopy done. it is not normal to have bleeding. you did not say whether or not there was blood in the toilet, or whether there was pain associated with this. do you take aspirin or ibuprfen, aleve?
Avatar n tn
Blood in the toilet, yes.  Pain, no.  I take ibuprofen occasionally for headaches, but beyond that, nothing else.
I agree with Rene11's comments.  Rectal bleeding is never normal.  The causes can be minor - or, less frequently, from more serious conditions.

Do insist on a colonoscopy which, hopefully, will give you reassurance that the more serious conditions are absent.

Good luck
Morecambe
Avatar n tn
Ransom,
You should see a doctor but for goodness sake don't panic. The MOST likely cause is a bleeding haemorrhoid. It is fresh blood and so is low down near the rectum. If it was something higher up in the bowel the blood would digest and you would have black stools. See your doctor but in the meantime relax.
B.