Lovenox after surgery when you have colon cancer
My husband, a stage 4 colon cancer with liver mets patient, just went through a surgery for HAI. He was immediately thereafter put back on 120mg of Lovenox within 24 hours after surgery. This resulted in near death:  blood clots and bleeding, vomiting up blood and clots from  the stomach, drastic drop in blood pressure (99/45) and lower with high heart rate of 138.  He had his stomach pumped through his nose, he was given numerous units of blood (more than 7-8 in 24 hours), along with frozen plasma, etc. to stop the bleeding after being endoscoped and having the esoghagus veins banded for potential bleeding--all related to liver dysfunction due to colon cancer.
The surgical team came to conclude that the Loxenox played a significant role in causing the bleeding even though my hubby was off of the Lovenox for seven days prior to surgery; his blood test for clotting was at 1.7 with 1 being normal. Large clots are still in his stomach, too large to remove; he is now off Lovenox forever due to potential bleeding. Blood thinners are a scary thing, and could have cost him his life. But, why the blood tests were not read prior to injecting Lovenox sooner than 24 hours after surgery is disturbing to say the least.  Any similiar scenarios out there? Is Lovenox a post-op killer that should be watched? Thanks.

This discussion is related to colon surgery/clots/blood thinners.