Low Ejection Fraction
I recently had a Hida Scan on my gallbladder.  The results showed an ejection fraction of only 6.4%.  I have no stones, based on an ultra sound,  but I do have some frequent soreness after eating greasy foods.  My family physician tells me to have it removed.  I went to a surgeon and he said if it wasn't giving me much trouble that surgery wasn't necessary.  What should I do???
Also, during a routine blood test my family physician noticed that my blood platelet count was only 95,000, which is low.  Could the two be related.

Thanks,

Sid283
There's a large amount of debate about this subject. If a person has stones and a low ejection fraction, the percentage of post-surgical problems seems to be less. But if a person has only a low ejection fraction - with no stones - and few symptoms the doc would normally operate years ago. But these days, more surgeons are telling people the same thing your surgeon said, that they won't operate unless there are problems. Not all surgeons say this, but those that do say the reason is that they're seeing a higher percentage of post-surgical problems in those with 'just' a low ejection fraction. They're unfortunately also seeing it in people with a low ejection fraction & symptoms like rightsided pain and discomfort.  

It doesn't automatically mean that a person with a low ejection fraction is 'doomed' to have problems, just that the percentages can't be explained very well.

Go back and talk to your doc. I understand his reasoning, but perhaps he's not up-to-date on some of the newer findings. If he really wants you to have it out because he knows you and your medical history, he should be able to refer you to someone else.