Gastroenterology Community
Lower Right Rib Cage Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Lower Right Rib Cage Pain

Wow.  I am *slightly* relieved to see that so many others are experiencing the same thing.  

I have pain under/in/behind/around (changes from day to day) my right rib cage.  The pain is mostly centered in the front towards the bottom left of the rib cage.  I cant seem to pinpoint the pain… is it the rib cage itself?  Liver? Lungs? Muscles???  Sometimes it hurts all on its own (as it is now) and can radiate down my back.  Sometimes it only hurts if I press on the ribs or on the area just below the ribs.  Pain relievers do nothing for me and I have yet to find anything that does.  Sometimes if I drink it feels worse the next day but not always so I am not sure if there is any relation there.  

I have had this pain for about a year and a half now.   I am a twenty nine year old female with no other health conditions or allergies and I don’t take any medication.  I am healthy and fit.  

I have been to see my doctor several times with no answer yet.  My blood has been tested, I have had ultrasounds etc.  My MD seems to be very dismissive about it (I have Kaiser if that says anything) but I am starting to become concerned as living with undiagnosed, constant pain is getting old.  

I have tried the liver cleanse stuff as mentioned above… no luck there either.  

This discussion is related to Pain Behind Right rib-(Not underneath Rib).
Why not try going to a registered therapeutic massage therapist.  They can quickly determine if it is muscular or fascial related and at least you have ruled that out.  If you're lucky they will be able to solve the problem.
Calililly
Has your doctor done a HIDA scan with CCK? I have had pain just like yours for 22+ years. I was told it was IBS and just learn to live with it. I finally got a GI to listen to me and he ran a HIDA scan and there is was, a low functioning gall bladder (biliary dyskinesia).

I has come and gone over the years but over the last 6 months it has gotten worse and I am trying to get a surgeon to take it out.