Gastroenterology Community
Lower left ab pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Lower left ab pain

I was wondering what the problem is with me.  Once a month, I have pain in the lower left part of my stomach.  It happens right after I eat a large meal, and I feel nauseous, then I vomit.  Then I have this terrible burning pain in the lower left that radiates to my back and upward.  I will then have the urge to have a bowel movement.  While I go, the pains get worse, but when I am done, they go away for a few minutes then come back just as painful.  When I go, its like diarrhea, only its got little pieces of stool in it as well as water.  This goes on for about 8 hours.  Nothing gets rid of the pain it just magically goes away after this long.  Could this be a bowel obstruction?  Or IBS?  I wonder because I have noticed it happens sometimes when I am stressed out or upset.
my 6yr old son has the same problem. the pain usually comes in the night and last for about half a day to a day once or tiwce a month.  He feels like he needs to vomitt and it helps for a sec but then it comes right back.  He has had several test done at UVA and they can not find anything wrong. Even during an episode he has been to er and had xrays and it shows nothing.  If you find any solution or what it is please please email me at ***@**** thanks and good luck
Hello, I got a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and they found nothing. So they are saying I just have IBS.  I'm not sure if you have found your answer yet, but if you have and its something else, please let me know.

I hope your diagnosis is correst, as I have IBS and many friends who also have it, and none have experienced what you describe.  There may be variable degrees of it, hope this is your answer.  What did they prescribe for you, and is it working?

I would not accept what your Dr's are saying.  Your son obviously has a problem, and they just can't throw their hands up and say "nothings wrong."  I've been through a lot with things like this, and trust me, second and third opinions are everything!  I would find a different doctor and get answers so that your son does not have to continue suffering, and you worrying.  I lost a son because his doctors refused to seek advice from other doctors, or look for help as to what to do for my son.  I had sought out a second opinion, and this doctor placed many calls to my son's doctors, which were refused and voicemails not returned.  This other doctor gave my son an additional 2 years with us, after the other doctors gave him a few days.  I now have to live with this, so please don't stop until you get the answers you need and deserve.  I asked a very prominent doctor at the Cleveland Clinic "why do doctors not seek help when they don't have the answers?"  He replied "their egos are too big to allow them to ask for help, plus they don't want to lose you as a patient."  Sad, but too often true.  Good luck to you.