Gastroenterology Community
Lower left/right side pain near hip area

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been feeling pains in my lower left and right side of my stomach near my hip bones. When i was taking a shower and put a bar of soap near their I felt pain, or when I lay down I can feel the pain. Normally, it's not that bad but last week after I ate toast I felt like somebody stabbed me in my lower left side and it really freaked me out and this has happened before but it was a while ago. It could be nothing but I was wondering whats going on..
Hi Soundoff,

It sound to me that it could be one of two things. Diverticulum in the intestine or ovarian cysts. If it is right on the hip bone it is likely diverticulum (pouch in the intestine that interrupts the smooth flow of material) and if it is slightly more towards the middle than the hip then it might be an ovarian cyst. I would suggest a conversation with your doctor if it carrys on for longer than a week to two.

Good luck.