Gastroenterology Community
Malabsorption issues
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Malabsorption issues

Over the past year I have lost a lot of weight and am experiencing many 'IBS-like' symptoms. This includes stomach aches, varying food transit times (often very fast), undigested food in stools, blood in stools and large amounts of mucus in stools.
I have since been diagnosed with coeliac disease, pancreatic insufficiency and have been told that I have 'complex malabsorption problems' that the doctors can't seem to put a name on?
Because my weight-loss was so severe, and because I am not absorbing the food I eat properly, I now have a PEG feeding tube and am on supplement drinks.
I have had many tests done, including blood tests, MRI scans, endoscopies and a flexible sigmoidoscopy. I was diagnosed with coeliac disease in November and have since had 2 further endoscopies, which have showed some intestinal improvement following the gluten-free diet (blood tests have also shown the gluten-free diet is working well). The flexible sigmoidoscopy found some internal hemorrhoids which the doctors conclude to be the cause of bloody stools. A faecal elastase test diagnosed me with pancreatic insufficiency so I take creon enzyme tablets with food.
However, I am still experiencing large amounts of stringy, grey mucus in my stools. Is this to be expected, considering the diagnoses I have been given or should I push for further investigation?
Thanks
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1340994_tn?1374197577
It sounds like old blood possibly, or something to do with your enzyme problem or the supplements, but see if you are getting L-glutamine in your supplement.  If not, add it along with a prebiotic.  L-glutamine is good for healing the gut.  
Blank
Blank
Passed several blood clots today, is that to be expected?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank