Gastroenterology Community
Mass in the upper stomach

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Mass in the upper stomach

I just had a CT scan and a mass the size of a lemon was found in the upper stomach area.  I original went to the gynocologist for my check up and I reported feeling a pulsating in the stomach area along with a feeling like a baby was kicking, I can sometimes feel a lump.  I am a small frame woman weight 109 height 5'3. I had a ultrasound which showed something so I had a CT scan they found gallstones, and the mass. I am waiting to see a surgeon.  I am worried that it is cancer, I originally thought maybe it was a anuresym.  But since the mass was discovered, I naturally think the worst and think it is cancerous.  Is there any conditions other than cancer that has the same systoms.  

Thank You
J
Tags: bowel
Since you have gallstones, it MIGHT be a mass of scar tissue (adhesions).  When any tissue becomes inflammed from disease or trauma, scar tissue forms.  This is a normal function of the body in response to inflammation.  It's the same thing as a scar on the outside of your skin when you cut yourself.  If your gallbladder has been bad for a long enough time, you can develop a ton of scar tissue around the organ.  Scar tissue can be anything from thin, filmy pieces of tissue, to very thick, hard and ropey in texture.  Hopefully, that's all the "mass" will turn out to be.  Hope that gives you some sense of peace and hope while you await your surgery.  :-)
If that's a scar tissue, it shouldn't be in the stomach area. Except for the possibility of cancer, that could be a stomach stone if you recently ate some special food activate the shapening of stone. It is a little rush to see a surgeon, maybe you should firstly have an endoscopy test.
I must respectfully disagree with your comment.  Scar tissue DOES form in the abdomen.  I have what is called ARD: Adhesion Related Disorder.  All that means is that I grow scar tissue a lot more than the normal person and it causes bowel obstruction among other problems.  It is currently unknown why this happens more in some people and not others.  Scar tissue can appear in the abdomen on, and around, any organ that becomes inflamed for any reason.  In women, endometriosis is a common cause of ARD, along with PID.  If your appendix or gallbladder ruptures, or you have some other injury that causes peritonitis, you're going have problems with adhesions.  If you have radiation treatments, you will get adhesions.  In some people, it's as if someone poured Super Glue into their guts. When my gallbladder became diseased (no stones) it was covered with the suckers and they got so thick and numerous it caused small bowel obstructions.

I think Paxton has received excellent advice from her docs.  She certainly has gallstones, and that gallbladder needs to come out.  I wouldn't let an unknown mass go unexplored if I were in her shoes.
Thanks so much for information you guys have provided.  It does make me feel better while await going to the surgeon to see the next step.  

paxton 66