Medicine for Swallowing Difficulty?
I have a rare progressive neurologic disorder, which affects various portions of my GI system (in addition to gait, balance, coordination, etc.) I have numerous tests done, which demonstrate poor motility, constipation, spasticity of the colon, and last but not least dysphasia. I was prescribed Zelnorm several years ago, which amazingly regulated the entire system and reduced the severity of each of these problems. Since the recall of this drug, I have been able to deal with the stomach symptoms at an adequate level through diet, Miralax, Konsyl, etc. But I continue to have swallowing problems. Food particles and congestion collect in the back of my throat after I eat and I have major difficulty coughing them up or even washing them down. This is further complicated by post nasal congestion due to minor allergies. I try to drink beverage and have tried menthol cough drops to loosen the congestions, with minimal success. Are there other drugs which might be effective in regulating my swallowing process. At this point, the symptom is not severe, but is becoming chronic and increasing my fatigue. I am also wondering if there are any exceptions to the drug ban or whether there are certain categroies of patients for whom it may be prescribed?
There is a way that you can qualify to use zelnorm. Check this: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01673.html