Gastroenterology Community
Medicines for nasuea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Medicines for nasuea

Had a quick question, whats the best over the counter non prescription medication for nasuea? I dont care if its drowsy or non drowsy. Thanks in advance :)
Look for a product called emetrol or nauzene.  These are available OTC and I've had good results with mild to moderate nausea.

Prescription-wise, compazine and phenergan work very well, and if nausea is a constant problem, your doc should have no objection to prescribing it.  These meds do have a tranquilizing effect, so would be better to take when you're at home.  Also, they're old meds and very cheap if cost is an issue.  Zofran is a big-gun for nausea and knocks it right out of the park. I've never noticed any side effects from it.  I know it's available in generic form now, but used to be prohibitively expensive.
I don't know of any otc meds for nausea but you may find drinking anything with ginger of help. I had FEC chemo 4 yrs ago for breast cancer and was nauseous for the whole 4 months. I drank ginger ale (non alcoholic),ginger beer (non-alc,) and occasionally about an inch of Stone's green ginger wine topped up with ginger ale. I was given dexamethasome in the IV with the chemo, to quell nausea, and domperidone to take for 3 days at home after each infusion.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Liz.
A good OTC anti-nausea med is Emetrol. You could get it at any drugstore.

Good luck

Carisa