Gastroenterology Community
Metformin side effects...Possible Lactic Acicosis?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and was perscribed Metformin 500mg 1x daily.  At first, it gave me bad diarrhea, so I ate it with food and it settled a little bit, then, i noticed my stools were getting more scarce and ALOT harder, almost like my muscles in my rear forgot how to work, it was hard to go to the bathroom. Then, when i did stool, it looked like it had some kind of mucus looking stuff on it. I asked my doctor if he wanted a sample, but he ignored me. But I took a break after 3 weeks or so, because all of a sudden, I got a bronchial cough, then bladder/kidney infections and yeast infections. And smaller stomach aches, but too frequent.  I started back up again after a couple week break, and started at 250mg for 3 days, then back to 500mg 1x daily. Then, I started getting HEADACHES!! And I was nauseated w/ dry heaving & stomach pains in the mornings, for like 8 days. I'm getting these "migraine" feeling headaches, but they are like direct pressure to my temples and forehead, and by my eyes, sometimes, it feels almost numb. They thought it was a sinus infection, but the antibiotics are done, and I wasn't really congested as it was, and the headaches and such are only getting worse. I started getting EXCRUCIATING stomach aches, which i have IBS, but it hasn't acted up in over 10 years, usually its just a little gas, which anti-acids work great for. I tried every gas reliever there is.I asked for a referral to a GI, but that might take a little time. This is all new and its scarring me. I'm only 20, and now... im falling apart. I just want to feel better.
sorry,couldn't finish... I've been having extra burping and reflux stomach acid comming up lately too.  One day, I had to go to the doctor because the pain almost made me pass out.