Gastroenterology Community
Mild chronic pancreatitis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Mild chronic pancreatitis

My Dr. said I may have mild chronic pancreatitis. Does anyone know exacactly what this is?
How did he come up with that?  What tests did he do and what are your symptoms?
I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis last January and was hospitalized five times since then with smouldering pancreatitis. I am on Ultram 20 and four omeprazole 20mg daily. I have lost forty pounds this year,probably due to no alcohol and change of diet.
Thanks Margie I have nagging pain almost everyday, sometimes in my stomach and sometimes in my back, I am being very careful with what I eat, No fried foods and low to no fatty foods. Last summer I realized I was getting addicted to pain meds so I stopped taking any narcotics. I have good days and bad ones.
Did he do any labs or any other tests at all?

I have been going through the same thing for 2 months now, and no one can tell me what it is. I have pain in upper left abdomen and my back, between my shoulder blades.

I've had an ultrasound, cat scan, endoscopy, colonoscopy, hida scan and bone scan.  Plus all of my labs are normal!!  I've also been to 6 different doctors.  My amylase and lipase have been checked 5 times too.
Yes Ive had labs done and also all of the other test you've had done. My lipase was slightly elevated the last time wich was about a month ago.             Do you have any pain after you eat?
No, I don't have any pain after eating.  Do you?  The reason that he did diagnose you is because your lipase was elevated.  That usually does mean pancreatitis.  Do you drink alcohol at all?  If ot, does he know what caused it?  Were all of your other tests normal?
You put it best yourself.  Your pancreas is 'smouldering' - very unhappy after the round of acute pancreatitis.  Acute only means "sudden onset"; chronic means you have symptoms all the time, and usually for no known reason like infection or pseudo cyst.  Don't get hung up on acute or chronic here.  The important word is pancreatitis.  It's swollen, digesting itself, and extremely unhappy.  Sadly, sometimes people who have an acute attack lapse into chronic panc for the rest of their lives.  All you can do is treat the pain and nausea, avoid all alcohol, and really cut down on fat in your diet.  As you've already discovered, pancreatitis is an extremely difficult disease to treat.

You'll need to keep up with your gastro doc.  Probably add on a pain management doc.  And definitely consider seeing a pain psychologist so you can learn how to live with pain on a long-term basis without constantly having to increase narcotics.  That's about it.  I'm really sorry this has happened.  Best of luck in future.  :-)
I find that I'm always "testing" myself with different foods, almost like I'm in denial of having pancreatitis. Does anyone eles do this?
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers