Gastroenterology Community
Movement under Rib

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Movement under Rib

Does anyone know what could be moving around in my left side under my ribs? When I am leaning to the left i am able to press on my left side and feel something move back and forth under my ribs. It is almost like it is popping out from my ribs and then when i push on it it pops back under my ribs! Has anyone experienced this? Could this be my spleen or stomach or kidney or anything else? Before I started pressing on whatever it is it felt fine. Now its kind of tender. If anyone has any ideas i would be greatful for your input. Thanks!
I would see your Doctor about it. It sounds very unusual to me, but we all seem to have our own special problems.
After more research i believe that its my colon. Is this a bad thing that it can move back and forth the way it does?
I don't know if it's colon. I think it's something to do with a hernia. I also have a pea sized lump on my rib (left rib cage) with the same popping feeling when I lean over. I've been reading around online and it sounds like it could be something called a lipoma. I have no idea what the popping feeling/movement is though. I ahven't been to a doctor about it...yet. SOmetimes I get a dull or sharp pain there after I eat as well. You too?
I also have a moving sensation under left rib cage that began a month ago, feels like a baby kick, but I am 70 years old and know thats not what it is. It is when I lay down or stand not when I sit.
Dr. wants me to have a colonospacy, but have not done so yet as I don't think it has any thing to do with that part of my anatomy as I have not had any problems in that area.
Any one else have this sensation?
i have the same problem to but i just found it yeaterday because i felt pain when i play sport and i was very active but as i was sitting on my left side surfing the net i felt a little discomfort so i pressed it with my hand and felt something popping. so as i search for it cause i wanted to know. now just today i was looking and i found this that explain what it is cearly. i was very luck. to all who was worried here is your answer.

As followed:

Dear Kevin,

This sounds like slipping rib syndrome.

Slipping rib syndrome is a condition that is often misdiagnosed or undiagnosed and can subsequently lead to months or years of unresolved abdominal and/or thoracic pain. Surgical findings suggest the condition arises from hypermobility of the anterior ends of the false rib costal cartilages, which often leads to slipping of the affected rib under the superior adjacent rib. This slippage or movement can lead to an irritation of the intercostal nerve, strain of the intercostal muscles, sprain of the lower costal cartilage, or general inflammation in the affected area.

The medical literature primarily refers to this condition as slipping rib syndrome. However, it has also been referred to as clicking rib, displaced ribs, interchondral subluxation, nerve nipping, painful rib syndrome, rib tip syndrome, slipping rib cartilage syndrome, traumatic intercostal neuritis,11 and 12th rib syndrome. Many cases have been described in the medical literature, but this condition is rarely mentioned in present-day medical textbooks and often is not clinically known by doctors.

The syndrome may be the result of trauma, but many cases have been reported in which no thoracic or abdominal trauma had occurred. Clinically, patients often note intermittent sharp stabbing pain followed by a dull achy sensation for hours or days. “Slipping” and “popping” sensations are common, and activities such as bending, coughing, deep breathing, lifting, reaching, rising from a chair, stretching, and turning in bed often exacerbate the symptoms.

The differential diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome includes a variety of medical conditions, such as cholecystitis (gall bladder inflammation), esophagitis, gastric ulcer, hepatosplenic abnormalities, stress fracture, inflammation of the chondral cartilage, and pleuritic chest pain. A quick way to rule out these conditions is to look for an association between certain movements or postures and pain intensity, determining if the patient has experienced recent trauma (although not always present), and reproduce the symptoms (eg, pain, clicking) with the hooking maneuver. The hooking maneuver is a relatively simple clinical test. The clinician places his or her fingers under the lower costal margin and pulls the hand in an anterior direction. Pain or clicking indicates a positive test. It is recommended that the hooking maneuver be followed with a rib block (injection) to see if the pain can be relieved. Radiologic imaging is generally not useful in the diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome but may be of value in ruling out other conditions in the differential diagnosis.

Once the diagnosis of slipping rib syndrome has been made, you have to realize that nothing is seriously wrong. Avoidance of movements or postures that exacerbate symptoms may be sufficient in eliciting a successful outcome. However, in patients with more severe pain and dysfunction, nerve blocks, prolotherapy and surgical intervention may be necessary. Conservative and surgical outcomes reported in the literature have generally been good. Yet these results should be viewed with some caution, as clinicians may not be as forthcoming in reporting failed case reports and case series.

Bottom line:  rest and restrict activity that makes the pain worse.  If you cannot do this, prolotherapy or nerve block injections may offer immediate help and resolve the issue.  Surgical resolution is the last option by may be indicated if no appreciable improvement is noted.  Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Dr. J. Shawn Leatherman
www.suncoasthealthcare.net
Hi I have a question about an issue my husband is having. He has this weird thing going on below his right rib. It has been bothering him for months now and he went to the doctor today. The doctor told him he popped a rib but I don't think that's the case because he hasn't had very much pain from it. Also, it kind of feels like cartliage or like a pocket or something. When you push on it, it feels like your pushing on a balloon. It's caused him a little bit of pain on the right side of his back, near his spine. Do you have any idea what could be going on? He has gained about 30 pounds in the last year or so and he was a smoker but has stopped for about a month and a half now. Thanks!
I know just what you mean!!!! All of the other posts that have read, associate their discomfort with some sort of pain. Mine, like yours, is not painful, just annoying. The only way I can describe it is just like feeling a baby kick. I'm not pregnant. It started a fedw months ago and now the mysterious "kicks" are stronger and longer. What the heck is it???
Sorry to hear so many people are having this issue but I have to admit it is a HUGE RELIEF to me that I am not alone!  I just started experiencing what I think you are all describing.  I know something isn't right & I figured I would eventually have to go have this looked into.  First of all, I have been having such a hard time trying to describe what I am feeling without people looking at me like I have two heads.  I am not a nurse or physician but did work in the medical field for many years & am 'up' on my medical terminology so it has been pretty frustrating trying to find the words or adjectives to describe this feeling or sensation.   My sister is an RN & my niece is a Clinical Pharmacist with her PhD (who obviously both know I am not completely medically incompetent) and the two of them both looked at me like I was absolutely out of my mind when I asked them about it.  (so much for that free consult!)  Does this 'popping' you are all describing feel like a large rubberband has snapped and/or something is 'flapping' around or 'uncoiling' inside.  (Can't imagine why anyone would think that sounds crazy huh??!)  So now that I'm giving you all my crazy description - my second issue I would love some feedback on - it seems that just about everyone has said they experience this on the left side of their ribcage & down low.  I am having this happen on my right side up high just below my right breast.  Any thoughts or anyone else having this happen in the same area?  
Just like many have described here...this is not horribly painful.  It is just uncomfortable enough to keep me constantly aware that something isn't right.  I have one very sensative area when I feel around in the area.  It is more 'alarming' then painful when I have the snapping sensation & it happens so randomly.  Sometimes a quick movement triggers it but other times it doesn't take much or no movement at all & it happens.
Thanks for reading...any other info or input (or descriptive adjectives!!) would be appreciated.  In case you couldn't pick up on it - I am trying to have a good sense of humor about all of this!!  It helps keep me from worrying to death!!
Thanks again - Happy Holidays

I too am sorry, but so releived to find I am not alone with this strange problem. Mine started about 2 years ago, with just an uncomfortable fullness/pressure under my right rib. It became worse when sitting and after several trips to the doctors, they eventually sent me for an ultrasound test, which showed nothing, so I have just lived with it till now.

Last Saturday I bent down to pick up 3 towels off the floor, I am quite strong, and they were not at all heavy. I remember twisting slightly to my right (to avoid the door) as I bent down, when suddenly POP, OUCH, (felt like my end rib had cracked, or maybe a hernia) something seemed to give way under my bottom end right rib.

I took Paracetamol Extra for the pain, but it didnt help. Next day (sunday) I tried Ibuprophen, but again no real help.

To cough or sneeze was just crippling, but I found some relief by bandaging myself around my middle.

Monday morning I called the doctors, as I was in agony. She diagnosed me "traumatic intercostal neuritis" without even rising from her seat. Prescribed Co-Codamol 15/500 Tablets for the pain, and said it will heal itself in due course.

Luckily I waited till I got home to take the tablets as 1 to 2 hours after I took 2 of them, the pain was still there, and I felt very strange and sicky. I sat in a chair and woke up 2 hours later. (I have not taken anymore since, as I dont think they agreed with me)

I do shop work thursdays to sundays, and cant afford to have time off (unpaid) so didnt know how I was gonna manage.

Anyway to cut to the chase.. I have found that support from this "Everlast Slimmer Belt - Female"

Its a soft stretchy belt with velcro fastening, and its got me through till today.

Dunno what I am gonna do in the long run though, still looking for a long term answer if its out there ???

Teena
I was recently diagnosed with slipping rib syndrome and it is painful. I would get chest pains and also rib to my mid back pain. It took a while of doctors, specialist, and E.R.'S and I finally got answer from gastro Doctor, he did a hook test on me under my rib and I cried out in pain it is very discomforting and frustrating. I don't know what to do and my family physician had to go look it up for she did not know what it was either.  She gave me Tylenol and that is not working chest pain and rib pain still there. I have a gastro test being done on Monday with Understand on my abum. So prayers  needed as I pray for all of you hugs Elaine..
Anyone find out what the clicking is?? I've had this for about 3 years now and I notice I feel it more after meals. It's a light clicking feeling like a rubber eraser bumping against a rib and it happens when I sit and stand, or when I press on it.

I asked a dr. And even made her feel it, but all she said was that it's a tendon and to stop touching it because I'm making it worse. I don't believe that is right, so I'll be looking for a second opinion. Any find out what their issue is yet? :)
I have had pain under my rib cage that feels like a baby moving around and it very painful.  This has been going on for about a month with very small relief.  My grandson who has had brain surgery gave me suggestion.  His doctor prescribed Ibuprofen for reduce the swelling.  So, I purchased 200 mg Ibuprofen.  I take 2 every 4 hours, and I absolutely have no pain.  So... It's worth a try folks...
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers