Gastroenterology Community
Mucous in stool, Gas, upper abdominal low pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

For the couple of months I have been suffering from IBS.  It was first while I was sitting on sofa in an inclined fashion I felt a discomfort in borderline of the rib case of the upper abdomen. I thought it may have been due to some hurt that I got while exercising.  After few days this happened once again.  There was gas formation, acidity, stomach burn.  I was having irregular stools. After consuming spicy foods and alcohol ( I am not a regular drinker I drink occassionally) the colour of the stool became rose red and loose.  I used to have green chillies while eating. Now I left.  Then I started to take metrogyl 400 for seven days. Things started to normalise. I also had Lan 30 one tab in the morning empty stomach and rantac 300 half hour before meals (BDPC).Then for a couple of weeks stool became normal.  Now here I tell that I used to have food always in hurry, I gulp rather than chew and eat in bigger quantities specially at night. Outside food are taken sometimes.  Invitations are always there. Now during the last couple of weeks the same pain, gas formation, feeling of incomplete bowel clearance happened. Five days back I had fever coupled with pain in abdomen, and loose motion (mucous filled curd like stool). I went to doc and was prescribed Aciloc 300, Stelabid, Doxt-100, Ambizyme, Fybogel on 3rd July'08.  The doctor revised the medicines on 05.07.08 on my reporting that pain on the upper abdomen ribcage corner persisted but stool gradually started to take formation from loose state but mucous is there. The doc now prescribed Aciloc 150, Sucrafil-O-Gel, Ganaton(50), Vibact, Colospa and fybogel. Today it is 7th July 2008 yet the same condition persists. Gas formation, pain in the upper abdomen rib cage corner, wind formation and feeling of full stomach not quite feeling hungry. Please help me doctor.
Gas mostly come from sugary food, fibers and - beer (also other alcohol).

Upper abdominal bloating is most commonly caused by H. pylori infection of stomach. Diagnosis is with a breath test.

Pain in a "rib corner" (this is when ribs meet, below the breastbone?) is from gastritis/ulcer, the main cause is H. pylori.