Gastroenterology Community
Mucus (Steatorrhea?)

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Mucus (Steatorrhea?)

Back in June, I had a cold or a virus or something, and one of the symptoms was an anal leakage - an oily orange sort of mucus, and the only thing I've found online that sounds similar is steatorrhea. Sometimes it happened while I was using the bathroom, and sometimes it happened at other times, so for two or three days I started wearing a small menstrual pad for it since I couldn't feel anything when it happened. I got over the cold/virus/whatever it was, and for a while the mucus/leakage stopped.

However, it's been recurring two or three times a month since June, and may last for a day or two, but since the first time it's never occurred when I'm not using the bathroom. Whenever I get the mucus, it comes with sharp abdominal cramps that don't conform to any particular place; they tend to move around. I also get really tired and lethargic.

Does anyone have any idea of what might cause this? I should mention that I have a few other health problems: hyperthyroidism (however, it's in remission and I just had my blood levels checked, so that's unrelated), asthma, and allergies. I take a few prescription medications, but I've researched their side effects and I haven't found anything relating to anal leakage or mucus.
I forgot to mention - I'm pretty sure none of the food I eat contains Olestra.