Gastroenterology Community
Mucus (Steatorrhea?)

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Mucus (Steatorrhea?)

Back in June, I had a cold or a virus or something, and one of the symptoms was an anal leakage - an oily orange sort of mucus, and the only thing I've found online that sounds similar is steatorrhea. Sometimes it happened while I was using the bathroom, and sometimes it happened at other times, so for two or three days I started wearing a small menstrual pad for it since I couldn't feel anything when it happened. I got over the cold/virus/whatever it was, and for a while the mucus/leakage stopped.

However, it's been recurring two or three times a month since June, and may last for a day or two, but since the first time it's never occurred when I'm not using the bathroom. Whenever I get the mucus, it comes with sharp abdominal cramps that don't conform to any particular place; they tend to move around. I also get really tired and lethargic.

Does anyone have any idea of what might cause this? I should mention that I have a few other health problems: hyperthyroidism (however, it's in remission and I just had my blood levels checked, so that's unrelated), asthma, and allergies. I take a few prescription medications, but I've researched their side effects and I haven't found anything relating to anal leakage or mucus.
  • Anal leakage (1 replies):
    I have anal leakage and it really is starting to bother ...[more]
  • anal leakage (4 replies):
    I have anal leakage ;what can I do to stop it? This di...[more]
  • anal leakage (2 replies):
    why does my son have anal leakage? Seems to have no othe...[more]
  • Anal Leakage (4 replies):
    I have actually been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. My ...[more]
  • Anal Leakage (1 replies):
    Im experiencing anal leakage. At first I thought it was ...[more]
I forgot to mention - I'm pretty sure none of the food I eat contains Olestra.