Gastroenterology Community
Mucus and occasional blood in stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Mucus and occasional blood in stool

I am 18 years old and the past few weeks I have been noticing excessive amounts of mucus in my stool. Some time when I go to the bathroom I dont have it, but a few minutes later I have to go again and its all mucus. Mostly its mucus included in my stool though. Recently I have been noticing a red tint on the toilet paper after I wipe. I dont notice any blood included in the stool, its only after I wipe.
Tags: bowel
You should go get checked out. Most likely nothing serious at your age, but to set your mind at rest go to your doctor and get checked out. Any change in bowel function should always be checked out.
Would going to my family doctor be fine? Or should I see a specialist?
You should preferably see a colorectal specialist - can your doctor refer you to one, or can you do that yourself. Your family doctor can't do the tests required - only a colorectal specialist can do them. Good luck. Let me know how you get on. I'm going to have a colonoscopy on January 15th for abdominal pain and change in bowel habits. Go see a specialist - best to get checked out instead of worrying all the time - chances are you'll be fine.
Hi!  Just wanted to wish you well for your upcoming colonoscopy......you gave some good advice.  No need in worrying unnecesarily.   So it's a good idea for a checkup by a specialist.  You got a colonoscopy for the same reason that I had one.  Pretty sure that the HPylori test that came back positive is the culprit in my situation.  So I've started a round of antibiotics to get rid of it.

fav6052-yes, go to a specialist to have it checked out. It's probably stress or something along those lines..............but best to have it professionally looked at.  

God Bless,
Smilie

Thanks smilie I'm still considering cancelling my inpatient colonoscopy and going for it as an outpatient - that way I definitely have a toilet to myself! Still a bit worried about my AF kicking in when I take the Picolax, but I'm more worried about having to share a toilet with 5 other people!!!!!!!