Gastroenterology Community
Mucus in poo

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Mucus in poo

I am a 19 year old female with no real history of bowel problems.. however, Last week i started having bowel movements of just mucus or very small turds... it continued for almost two full days before i had another solid poo again. I just thought it was something I ate, there was no blood and no real pain other than the discomfort of being really bloated so i brushed it off and moved on. but then just yesterday it started happening again and I am still pooing just mucus not even any turds this time. Should I be worried about this, it's still very possible that its something i ate because im a student and only have a handfull of foods available to me so i eat a lot of the same things in a week... i'm just not sure how worried i should be
Tags: mucus, poo
have you been on any anti-biotics in the last 4 months, if so its probably psuedomembranous colitis, however you really do have to worry about this it can be very serious especially if one of the membranes perforates... you need to schedule a doctors appointment asap
Hey, No I haven't been on any anti biotics in a while i havent been sick at all this year besides a bad cold several months ago... is that still a concern?
well now im gonna move towards a bacterial infection of some sort, salmonella, C-diff(clostridium difficile), or E.Coli... however there are other causes of this...what color of the mucus? it could be IBS or some sort of IBD(crohns ulceratice colitis)... another possibility is diverticulitis(an infection of the diverticula of the intestines) if i would you i would see a doctor to ensure nothing serious is going on.... how often does the mucus appear...on every BM? any blood in stool? abdominal cramping?
well, the mucus is sorta clear or light brown like the poo, this week im having one or two days without any bowel movements then about a day or a day and a half with one  or two large soft stools then on and off very small very soft... not really watery diarrhea like but very small very soft stools with more mucus, the mucus is present only in larger amounts when there is more gas and less poo coming out in a bowel movement..there has been no blood in them and i only get really crampy or abdominal pain before a large bowel movement, 90% im in no pain or discomfort at all, i feel completely normal except a little more gassy than normal
well seeing as there is an absence of pain that rules out a lot of my hypothesis',i think you should go see a doctor soon, but is there any pain in the upper right part of your abdomen? and if you can think of any other symptoms at all, i mean any thing...the slightest smallest thing...it might help give me an idea
I had almost identical symptoms. Suddenly I was crapping mucus and the mucus has a very pungent odor. After months of going 2-3 times daily with soft stools made of small turds that looked 'rough', I finally went to GI and he of course asked about if I took antibiotics. I had, but this mucus predated it. Since I have no pain at all, he ruled out IBS.

Had a colonoscopy a couple weeks ago and they found ulcers on the terminal ileum (end of small intestine). Biospy of mucus on ulcers showed no malignancy, no infections. He then told me to go on high fiber diet plus fiber supplements 2-3 times/day. High fiber diet for a guy who is pooping 2-3 times a day? I think the doctor forgot why I came in in the first place. I didn't like him.

Anyways, they now suggest blood tests to diagnose whether it is IBD. My problem is since I exhibited symptoms of IBD and there is a blood test, why the hell didn't they do that in the first place? Anyways, my personal theory is these ulcers are caused by the fact that I drive 3 hrs a day on highways doing 8- mph in a rumbly old Cavalier. I am quitting my job this week and I hope in a month or so I can determine if that was the cause. If not, maybe I get the blood tests.
Why do I feel like I have to poop so I go but what comes out is a mucus like substance?  Should I be worried?
I am very confused because these same exact things have been hapening to me I got off an antibiotic and am not sure if that is why this is happening to me.  Should I be worried that I feel like I have to poop so I go but what comes out is a mucus like substance
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2009. The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on. Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew. To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page. This will get your post the attention it deserves. Thank you.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers