Gastroenterology Community
Mucus in stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Mucus in stool

A couple of weeks ago I started experiencing mucus discharge when I expelled gases (farts).  This lasted for two or three days. Since then, I have been noticing a lot of white/clear mucus in my stool. When I wipe, the only thing I can see in the toilet paper is white mucus. I don’t feel particularly ill or anything, but this has been happening everyday for more than a week or two. What could this be a sign of?
Note: Four members of my family (we are six) have had gastritis and ulcers. Could this be a probability?
Hi, I had exactly the same thing a few years ago. It started with mucus when going to the toilet, it would be in my stools and also if i passed wind. I left it and it got worse. I kept needing to go to the toilet alot but when i got there all that came out would be this  clear horrible mucus, almost like what comes out your nose if you have a cold. When i started to get blood in it  i got myself straight down the docs cause i had convinced myself i had bowel cancer after looking up my symptoms on the computer.
The doctor sent me to the hospital where i had a colonoscopy ( camera up bum ) they found that i had a healthy bowel but i did have polyps, i think they are just like warts? in the bowel very common in older people, i am only 33... lol don't think that's old.
I had to go in to hospital and have them removed. A year later i started getting bleeding and discharge again and also constipation and they found them again and i had to have them removed again....... its 3 years later now and i have not trouble anymore except IBS which could also be a reason for your discharge.

Good luck and make sure you see a doc but don't let them fob you off
It sounds like you are experiencing a form of IBS. IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is a blanket title to many bowel disorders. You could have ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease. Definately go to a GI doc and have it checked out.
Hi, any update since then?

I have excessive mucus in stool. Been through colonoscopy and doc says it is normal, probably hereditary, nothing serious.