Gastroenterology Community
Mucus in stool?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Mucus in stool?

It's been 3 weeks now that I have had loose stool. Some days it goes back to normal and then it comes back. Other times it's every other day. The stool is often very pale with some brown in it (sorry to be gross) and almost yellow looking (though not enough color to really count as "yellow"). Other times it will appear extremely pale because there is a ton of mucus in thee. It's soft stool and urgent like diarrhea but I've never had any accidents and usually when I have to "go" it's a smaller amount than the size of a golf ball.

I have had no other symptoms besides this. No stomach pain. No itchiness. No change in diet. Is it a cause for concern? I made doctors appointments twice but both times I wasn't told to bring in a sample and the poop went back to normal within a day or so of the appointment so I cancelled.
I should say actually it's closer than the size of a marble than a golf ball
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections, inflammation, malabsorption, motility issues, hormonal/ endocrine imbalances etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician or a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!