Gastroenterology Community
My son is 5 years old and he doesn't want to do a bowel movement i...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

My son is 5 years old and he doesn't want to do a bowel movement in the toilet.

My son is 5 years old and he doesn't want to do a bowel movement in the toilet. This began about a year ago, after a case of constipation. Ever since then, he will hold his b.m. The only place he will go is at home. I have to pick him up and place him on the toilet. He cries and screams. I stay there with him and try to soothe him. My concern is that he has an intestinal surgery called LADD"s procedure when he was a week old. He hasn't been checked since then. I have told his pediatrician about my concerns but she claims that it is due to constipation. I do not agree because recently he went through a bout of diaharrea and I had to buy him pull up diapers because he would go on his pants trying to hold it in. He did this several times before I gave in and bought him the diapers. He still puts up a fuss when doing a b.m. even with the pull ups. He is speech delayed and has sensory intergration issues. He will alos be undergoing an assessment for PDD-NOS soon. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I just know he was doing b.m. in the toilet for about a year and then , he no longer wanted to go on the toilet . I hate when I force him to go on the toilet because he acts as though he's going to his death sentence. I don't know what else to do. Please let me know what you may think the issue is. Thank you.
Sometimes diarrhea will happen in between bouts of constipation, so constipation is still indeed a possibility, as the doc said.  Certain fiber foods, plenty of water, and exercise help with some kinds of constipation, if that is the issue.  Oat cereal is a good example of fiber food to try.  

You could try the old baby toilet, where it sits lower to the floor, and perhaps he will get to where he can manage that without getting too upset.  Also, after he bathes, you can apply plain KY jelly in the area, so as to ease the transition of waste, could be it hurts just enough to scare him when it comes out.  You can also take him to a pediatric gastroenterologist, for a new workup, even if you have to travel, to make sure there isn't some other reason besides constipation that he isn't passing waste as easily as he should.

If there's any way possible to syncronize the time when he seems to want to go, with when he's home, then obviously that would be great, give him enough fool-around time to use the toilet and so forth.  If you can tell when he is getting an "urge," perhaps you could say "bathroom time," and take him on in there, and eventually he might get to where he'll wander on in there by himself and go on his own, you know.  

Ask your doc about "Baby Lax," which those are ointment tubes you squeeze in there, and he'll go in a huge hurry right after that... he won't be able to stop it, so that might be a tool you can consider in getting him regular, as long as he truly is not constipated real bad.  And of course when he does successfully go, give him a popscicle or whatever reward he might like, so he'll associate it with bathroom time.