Gastroenterology Community
My two year old has mucusy blood in stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have taken my two year old son to the DR. twice and both times they have told me its just a tear in his rectum but it has been going on for over a week now and it happens every time he has a bowl movement.There is mucusy blood in his stool, they said I would have to take him to a specialist and he would have to have a colonoscopy and they would need to put him to sleep. I am really worried and I plan on taking him to a specialist but I just want the answer right now. I just pray it's nothing serious and I'm stressing over nothing.

This discussion is related to Small amounts of blood and mucus in child's stool.
I have gone thru a similar experience w/ one of my sons and we figured out he was slightly constipated and likely had a small tear or fissure near his anus or lower rectum. We placed him on Mirilax and his symptoms completely resolved. Mirilax is not dependent and is not a laxative, just a stool softner. Occasionally, he will still have blood or bloody mucus even if he does not think he is constipated and we will make sure he has the mirilax and everything resolves. This is the most common cause of these symptoms at this age -  small benign polyps can also cause it and of course, inflammatory bowel dz is scary and always a possibility but much less likely. Does not hurt to have an exam if you want to be sure.
Dez
My son is 2 and went without a bowel movement for 4 days. We just got out of the hospital and the nurses and Dr's seemed unconcerned. Everytime he uses the restroom he gets a red rash and  hard stool. This time I noticed mucus like blood in with his stool, which is still hard and his buttocks was bleeding. I am concerned, any ideas.