Gastroenterology Community
NOT REFLUX - Morning gagging/retching

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

NOT REFLUX - Morning gagging/retching

I am Desperate for answers in finding the cause, diagnosis, etc. of my unexplained morning gagging, retching and vomiting!!!

It almost seems / feels neurological, as the feeling Starts in my throat, shortly after getting out of bed in the morning. Generally it is accompanied by a very 'heavy' feeling at the base of my skull and stiff neck.

Below is an old posting I came across in my search, but haven't been able to find any info beyond this. I've had all the tests mentioned below with no cause found for the gagging, retching/vomiting. Is there Anyone out there who knows what this is???

Thanks!!
************************
Nausea, Lack of appetite, Burping
by RobH

, Jul 15, 2004 12:00AM
Tags: nausea, Cancer, Stomach Conditions, acid reflux
Starting 3 weeks ago I started noticing this feeling in my throat, something that made me want to gag.  I've always had a very bad gag reflex, so I thought something was just agitating it.

I've probably had 4 vomits that have produced food, etc over the past 3 weeks, and 6 or so total dry heaves, where I actually burp when I retch.  

Going along with this was a feeling of not really craving food, a lack of appetite.  Not entirely so, my stomach
still growls if I wait too long, but I definitely am eating less than I used to.  I think I've dropped about 5 pounds over this 3 week period.

The OTHER thing I noticed was that I was burping a lot.  It wasn't uncontrollable, but if I wanted to I could bring up a lot of air.

I've had some good days where the gagging feeling is absent, and I eat fine.  Then I have days where it's very present, and sometimes it's all I can do to stifle a dry heave.  I should mention that usually it's much more noticeable in the morning.  By 6 p.m. the throat feeling seems diminished.

I saw a Doctor today, and he thought it was all related to acid reflux.  He said the acid could be irritating the throat
and the gag reflex, as well as suppressing my appetite (brain confused by what's going on in the stomach?)  I have had ZERO heartburn, though I have noticed occasionally when burping or just lying in bed at night a bit of acid coming up into my throat.  Despite his optimism, and recommendation that I take Prilosec for a few weeks and see if it all goes away...I'm not convinced.

My mom died of a rare cancer around her heart (doctors said it absolutely wasn't hereditary) when I was 20, so I have to admit that cancer is very present on my mind.  I have a hard time distracting myself, and I am the definition of a "worrier".  Thank you very much in advance for any advice.
Doctor's Answer
by Kevin Pho, MD

Add as Friend
Kevin Pho, MD
Male
Boston - MA
Member since Feb 2003

, Jul 16, 2004 12:00AM
Acid reflux would be the first thing that would come to my mind as well.  Even though you do not have any heartburn, it can also cause the symptoms you are describing.  I would want to rule this out before proceeding onto other diagnoses.  This would include an upper GI series and/or 24-hr pH study (which would be the definitive test for GERD).  An upper endoscopy would be the most comprehensive test to ensure there is no cancer in the upper GI tract.

If those tests are negative, I would consider a gastric emptying scan to evaluate for delayed gastric emptying, as well as an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the liver/gallbladder both of which can cause your symptoms.  

You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

Kevin, M.D.

Medical Weblog:

kevinmd_b

This discussion is related to Nausea, Lack of appetite, Burping.
I am not sure what it is either but my husband wakes up every morning throwing up this thick stuff. It has gotten worst and now he is starting to sweat with it. I am worried to death for him. He also has left testical pain(don't know if that has anything to do with it). But every morning he gags and throws up