Gastroenterology Community
Nausea and weight loss

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Nausea and weight loss

I started having problems a little over a year ago with what we thought was my gallbladder.  Episodes of extreme pain just below my ribs on the right side, nausea and weight loss.   We did an ultrasound and a HIDA scan which were both normal.  Lots of blood work to check my liver which was also normal.  Stool samples which were negative for blood and parisites.  Before I started having these problems I weighed 155 pounds I am now down to 110.   I haven't had an episode of extreme pain in probably a month.  But the nausea is daily.  I ended up in the emergency room one night and they did a ct scan and the doctor said it appears that I may have colitis.  But he didn't think it was severe enough to be ulcerative.   He suggested I have a colonscopy.  I don't have insurance so I have been put on a waiting list which is about 6 + months long...  I am hungry but afraid to eat for fear of getting sicker...  Does this sound like a form of colitis like the ER doc said?  Anyone else have similar problems?
Avatar n tn
Did the HIDA scan include CCK infraction?  The CCK was the part of the test that mimicked my pain and nausea, and did so about 5 times over the course of 30 minutes.  Due to pain in the center of my abdomen and this CCK replicating my symptoms, I had my gallbladder removed.  The pain in my abdomen is gone although I still have persistent nausea (different than before) and some continuing abdomen pain, but the gall bladder was not functioning properly and contributed to my health issue.

Good luck to you!
The HIDA scan was done with CCK... It didn't make me sick at all, and I was expecting it to...  My doctor still suspects it could be my gallbladder, she said she has seen it happen before that for whatever reason the gallbladder didn't act up during the test..  She suggested that when and if the pain happens again to go to the ER so maybe they can do the scan during the attack.  I was having the pain pretty frequently for awhile, however it hasn't happened in a month or so...  Right now my main complaint is nausea.  It almost seems to 'flare' ill be good for a week or so then all of a sudden it hits and Im sick for days.  The weight loss is also concerning.  I don't eat a whole lot for fear of getting sick but when I do eat I try to make it count by eating very high fat food.
It very well could be your gallbladder.  Do not eat high fat food ! This is the worst thing for it and can prolong your nausea.  Eat low fat food every day until this is tested further. I know you are losing weight but try small low fat meals several times a day and this may help a bit.