Gastroenterology Community
Nausea before AND after gall bladder removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

My husband has been sick for the past two years, tons of tests, medicines etc.  Nausea, loss of appetite, back pain, etc. were the last symptoms that he has yet to resolve.  He had a HIDA scan in June 2008 and Dr. said it was "normal", however, he recently asked for another one just grasping at straws hoping it would show something and sure enough, it came back at 25%.  Personally I think this has been his problem for well over a year and everyone has been telling him it is anxiety....whatever..
Anyhow, my question is - - - -
He is still sick to his stomach.  He just had surgery 3 days ago and I tell him that he is still recovering and that it is going to take time for his body to adjust to the new way of working.  He was hoping for an immediate fix and I know he is terrified that he isn't going to get relief.  He has gotten some relief, the "burning" isn't coming up anymore, he isn't burping as much, the back pain is gone and he feels better with that regard but he has no appetite and is still nauseas.  
IS THIS NORMAL?  How long before he can expect some relief?  When I had my gallbladder removed, I was running the vaccuum cleaner up and down the stairs the next day and felt wonderful....best thing I did but he is having such a hard time.
I'm hoping to get some good feedback  here so I can go back to him with some good news and some rays of hope.  I've read that it can take 3-6 months for your body to adjust, but I just have a hard time believing that because I had such an easy time....so it is hard for me to put it into words for him because I didn't experience it.  After 2 years of constant sickness, pain, nausea, he just wants to feel better and feel like his old self.
Any good words of wisdom out there, Please.....
Could you give an update on how your husband is doing?
I've had the same symtoms (symptoms) and gone through numerous tests for the last 1.5 years. Finally an ERCP diagnosed gall bladder sludge. I had the gall bladder removed 1 week ago and the nausea seems to be worse than before the operation.  I hope that your husband is feeling much better.
I hope you get some kind of answers because I sure as heck can't. My surgeon tried telling me yesterday 4/13 that I was still having pain from my incisions, "are you kidding me?" Keep in mind I had my surgery 3/18/10. That's a month ago. Since then I have had blood drawn 8 times an ultrasound and a CT. They act like that's is ultimate determining tests. I even went to a GI who just said here's some Nexium. And for anyone who tries to say my pain, diarreha and nausea, is anxiety they also put me on Zoloft 100mg and Wellbutrin. The pain is real, I mean I had enough bodily knowledge to go to the ER and they took my gallbladder out. And now it isn't any better. I know when something is going on. As for the ERCP or MRCP, they haven't even mentioned that. I wonder what the criteria is for that test. Somethings gotta give.
I hope there is some light at the end of this tunnel for us. It’s difficult not to get depressed with no relief after all this prolonged suffering. My surgeon now has me on Ursodiol and Mylanta. My symptoms of Nausea and back pains still persist.
I'll list what I have done in an effort to feel better, It might help someone. So far I have had  a Colonoscopy, Stomach ultrasound, Barium swallow, Stomach C/T, Hida Scan (55%), Stomach Scope (my GI recommended a psychological  evaluation), Head C/T (1st Surgeon) Stomach Emptying Scan, Doppler Ultrasound, 2nd stomach scope (new GI), and ERCP (2nd Surgeon). The stomach C/T suggested stones or sludge but the 1st surgeon relied on the ultrasound which showed normal, had 24hr urine test then the head C/T. The second ultrasound results were a small sludge ball, all other results were normal. Had my gall bladder removed last week after the ERCP showed sludge.
Of course anxiety was always mentioned. I was willing to try anything, I went to a Psychologist several times; a complete waste of money!. After no success with Nexium and Prevacid, I was on Cipralex for 5 months with no results. Other meds I have been on are Domperidone, Ranitidine, Metoclop and Dicetel.
I have tried some alternative medicine: a doctor of natural medicine gave me an IgG allergy test. Results , allergic to milk, eggs and oysters. Eliminated all dairy and eggs for several months, no changes. I have since read these reports were unreliable. Next, a stool test (my G.P. laughed). All remedies taken had no results.
Also, I have tried acupuncture and some herbal remedies with no results.
I'm running out of ideas, any suggestions?????