Gastroenterology Community
No Bowel Movement Since Galbladder Removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi-

I had my gallbladder removed on 9/26. I had a bowel movement just prior to surgery, but have not had one since then. I do not feel like I have to go at all. My stomach feels somewhat bloated after I eat. I have been eliminating regularly and drinking plenty of water/juice. I have also not had an issue passing gas. I have been eating a light clear liquid to bland diet since the surgery. Is this normal. Should I be concerened?
You are probably getting constipated, both as an effect of the anesthesia and pain meds given in the hospital, and any pain meds you're taking now.  I was on Vicodin for the first few days, and I had to pay attention and up my daily MiraLax as needed.  I don't think you want to get where you need to use a lot of force to push out hard stools, so take action now.  You could use Ex Lax.  You could use MiraLax, but you'd probably still need to use a glycerin suppository to get things moving.  
it takes about 3-4 days for your bowels to kick in which is normal.  My first Bm was major diareah with a layer of bile on the rim of thewater ( sorry too much info) but after that it was normal and very frequent.  On the flip side i have heard people have chronic diareach after gall bladder removal.
I feel for you. By now Im sure you have had a BM. I just had my GB removed 5 days ago and I must say I didnt have a BM for several days, but when I did it wasnt a pleasant feeling. As I told my doctor it was the second most painful day of my life. The first was giving birth. If I have any advice to give to somone ask the question of constipation soon! Take a laxitive shortly after surgery to get things moving again. Evidently the anesthesia and the pain meds slows the system down. But be prepared that after you get things moving they really get moving. After the initial constipation from hell you will have the runs from hell. Im finally getting some relief. But just a warning to others. The constipation is hell and brace yourself, it is worse than the surgery and the hosptial stay and even worse than giving birth. VERY TRAMATIC!
i had a t.u.i.p surgery  yesterday and i have a catheter on me i try go to the toilet but when i sit it wont go out and im scared that if i try to push my catheter will be push as well, can anyone pls. help me. i already drink laxative and stool soofiner. i dont know what else to do,