Gastroenterology Community
No surgery for rupture appendix, is this normal?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

My husband was just diagnosed with a ruptured appendix. The doctor says that he does not need surgery because there is not much of the appendix left. In the ER they told us that he had an abscess but now the surgeon is not so sure. My husband continues to be blotted, a low fever of 99.6 up to 103, and the pain has now returned to his abdomen. He was diagnosed Thursday this is now Monday, I told the nurse that he looks worse but she only comments that this is her first day with him. I am his wife and I am saying he is worse! We are wondering if we should ask to be moved someplace else. My husband says he just wants to get out of here.

Any suggestions, because I do not think that he is getting the care in which he needs?
I think you need to get him to another hospital IMMEDIATELY!!!!  An appendix that has ruptured requires surgery - when it burst, it releases toxins into the bloodstream that can cause an infection - peritonitis - which can be fatal!  Especially with his continuing fever and return of pain, this is a medical emergency that needs to be treated right away!

You need to contact the doctor yourself and insist that he be transferred to another hospital - preferably a large teaching hospital.  Do not take no for an answer - this could very well be a matter of life and death.  If they refuse to transfer him, sign him out of that hospital and take him to another one yourself.

Also be sure to keep detailed records as to what you are being told, the treatment (or lack thereof) that your husband is/has received and names of all people involved in his treatment.

Best of luck - please keep us informed as to how you're both doing.  but honestly, you need to act NOW!
As geminigirl said, YOU NEED TO GET TO ANOTHER HOSPITAL NOW!! A ruptured appendix is a medical emergeny in the biggest sense of the word. I don't know where you are at, but they sure don't know their job. I have never heard of no emergency surgery for a ruptured appendix. Good Luck and keep us informed.
Thank you for your advise. I had not read your post until today 06/13/2010. On the 9th the first hospital had sent my husband to a larger hospital to put some drain tubes in what they said were some abcesses. The radiology doctor there was surprised that the appendix had not been removed. He called in another surgeon and the appendix, the one abcess (abscess), and all the offending pus was removed. He is still in the hospital, but he is very much better and should be able to go home tomorrow. I did lodge a formal complaint at the first hospital with the hospital director.
Thanks, I am new to this site so I do not know if you can see what I posted to geminigirl, but my husband is at a new hospital where they took the rest of the appendix, the fecal ball, and all the puss out. He is doing much better and should be able to get out today.
I'm so glad to hear that your husband got to a bigger, better hospital and is now on the road to recovery.  I'm also very glad to hear that you have filed a formal complaint with the first hospital - it definitely sounds like a definite case of malpractice!

Best of luck to you both and I hope you'll continue to visit us here at Medhelp!
Thanks for letting us know. I put your post on my watched thread, so I was kept up to date. So glad to hear your husband is doing well. We just found out that our nephews appendix ruptured 4 weeks ago and he did not know it until he really got sick a week ago. They had to remove his small intestine, it was filled with gangreen (sp). He is not doing so hot, they sent him home way too soon and he was suppose to be going back in the hospital. Haven't heard anymore. So that tells you how bad a ruptured appendix can be. Good luck to you and take care. Pat
I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew.  It's a shame that hospitals nowadays are in such a hurry to rush their patients out the door - it's amazing that there aren't more horrible outcomes.

I hope your nephew gets the medical care he needs and makes a full recovery.  Please keep us posted on how he's doing.
I am so sorry to hear about your nephew. I was reading some of the surgeon's notes and discovered that he had some necrosis as well. What is happening with your nephew could have easily happened to my husband. My prayers are with your nephew and your family.