Gastroenterology Community
Nonspecific Inflammation of the ileum

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Nonspecific Inflammation of the ileum

Hi. I have been struggling with chronic abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea/constipation for several years now. I get dehydrated very quickly. It has been getting worse over the past year. The pain tends to be in the lower left quadrant. I had C.Diff in 2009 and had to have my galbladder removed later that year. A colonoscopy in 2009 showed Eosinophilic colitis.  I had a repeat colonoscopy last month and the doctor biopsied a couple of what one person called "scratches" and another called "ulcerations" in my ileum. A subsequent letter from him said that I have Nonspecific inflammation of the ileum and is probably caused by antinflammatory drugs. He said that the eosinophilic colitis is resolved. I do have migraines and take aleve approx once a week and also give myself torodol injections every month to 6 weeks.  I am wondering if I could have an inflammatory bowel disease that isnt showing up on the tests or could it really be due to my use of medications to help with the migraines?
You definitely have an inflammation problem here. But as long as they don't find the reason behind this inflammation, and eliminate it, it will be there.
There are two possible ways I can come up with to tackle this.
a) the expensive labtest: there is a Test available that doctors don't do since it is expensive and pretty new (GPs have problems with new methods and treatments). It is from metametrix, and they scan your stool for EVERY possible problem, be it autoimmune like celiacs or bacterial, fungal or even parasitic nature. It is highly sensitive and can catch even things like a lack of probiotics or fibre. I did it, and it was the only diagnose I got after 15 months of pain. Now I know what it is, and I can fight it.
b) The diet way: there is a diet which was developed for people with various inflammatory gut problems, like IBS, Crohns, celiacs.It reduces inflammation and changes the gut flora over time. It works really good, but it takes time and you need to experiment a bit with the basics and find out what works best for you. I did this before I got my results, and it helped me to stay sane, since it really helped me to reduce the pain. It is called the special carbohydrate diet. Go read up on it on scd-lifestyle (no need to buy their books, they have podcasts for free) .

Good luck!