Gastroenterology Community
Nonstop bloating please help??

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Nonstop bloating please help??

For the past month and a half i have had persistent bloating that makes my lower abdomen look fat and feels tight and very uncomfortable it gets way worse after eating meals, especially larger meals. I have to hold it in to look normal and that still doesnt completely fix the problem.  Im also gassy all the time and get stomach gas pains with more burping than flatulence.  The only stool problem i have is a feeling of incomplete bowel movements.  I also havent had as much of an appetite as i used too and ive been having alot of trouble falling asleep at night or waking up in the morning.  My life is pretty much terrible right now and it was already hectic before this so if anyone knows what might be wrong i would really really appreciate it.  I also went to the doctor and got tests for thyroid disfunction and celiacs disease and both were good. He recommended that i get a colonoscopy and im only 18 so i really dont know what to think.
The reason the doctor said to get a colonoscopy is because with your symptoms it could be so many things, and a colonoscopy would rule out a lot. Though getting a food allergy and stool test would be something I'd consider first. obviously less invasive and could tell you if its something like a parasite or a food allergy.
I would suggest adding more fiber to your diet, drinking more water, and eliminate certain foods from your diet that cause gas like dairy, fried foods, and certain veggies and fruits.
I used to have the same problem. I started taking a digestive enzyme (its quite pricey) but it has helped me a lot, and the bloating is pretty much gone. If you want to check it out, go to amazon and look up Probiotic Digestive Enzymes sold by Purely Scientific.