Gastroenterology Community
Normal evacuation after an enema?? HELP!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Beginning Thursday I realized I was having a "flare up" of my occasional constipation.  I then realized that it probably wasn't so "normal" for me to not have gone for a few days... So just for good measure I took some MiraLax in the evening, knowing when I woke up Friday morning I would have a victory.  I did not.  Friday afternoon I went and bought some suppositories on the suggestion of a friend and immediately attempted one.  I waited and waited and although there was some bowel gas evacuation (and suppository evacuation obviously), there was yet again no victory.  So later in the evening, a friend suggested I try downing 2 or 3 tablespoons of mineral oil, as suggested by her OBGYN in times past during her constipation with pregnancy.  I gagged that nastiness down and, once again, had ZERO results.  So, by Saturday morning, I was freaking out.  I went to Walgreens and bought the phospho-soda oral treatment and promptly mixed it with water and downed it and waited...  NOTHING.  So I have now tried four treatments (three of which laid claims to working within MINUTES) with no results whatsoever.  I began to wonder if I should indeed follow the label instructions of all the products that read "If you fail to produce a movement after use of this product, see your physician" when yet another friend suggested I try an enema.  I just happened to have one on hand that I had forgotten about that a friend gave me months ago when I was suffering a more minor bout.  ANYHOO - I utilized said enema after a bit of trial and error (ouch) and after a couple of minutes...... victory.  My question is this though:  What is the normal amount of evacuation after an enema and should I still plan on seeing my physician??  I have never suffered this long with constipation and neither has it been so severe before, especially after attempting almost every major bowel prep over the counter!  I didn't have complete evacuation tonight that I'm aware of (as far as it FEELS anyway) so I'm really confused as to whether or not I should try another enema or just go see my physician.  HELP!  (And thanks in advance for any advice on the subject.  MUCH appreciated!) :)