Gastroenterology Community
Not Feeling the Urge to go

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Not Feeling the Urge to go

I've been thinking a lot about my constipation issues, and I think that my biggest issue is that I very rarely actually feel the urge to go. I never ignore it if I feel it, but I feel it so rarely that I have to try and self-regulate. Any thoughts?
It depends on what you mean by "rarely."  Some people think you need to have a BM every day, but it's whetever is normal for you.  So if you are only going 2 x a week, and always have, then this is fine. If this is new, then it's cause for concern.  How bad is your constipation? Any additional infomation would better help us, to help you.
Well, it may be easier to read my other post, but to sum it up: I've had chronic constipation since I was a kid, and  not a healthy kind- in retrospect I had maybe 1 BM a week until I was about 16; since my last post, I've finally spoken to my mom about it, and she agreed that when I was a kid m BMs were way too big for my size. They were never easy to pass, almost impossible- can't say for positive, but I believe I was just pushing through fecal impactions; at 22, I have hemorrhoids. I don't know if it was because I was lactose intolerant; I am now, but when I was a kid I drank milk like crazy and if I was, constipation was my only symptom. Now, if I drink milk or eat cheese I get constipated, bloated and gassy, so it's easier to tell. When I tried not eating dairy, my symptoms went away and I was far less constipated, but unless 90% of the food I eat is vegetables, I never feel the urge to go, and even then its rare. Nowadays I just try to keep track of when I have bm's and just try, no matter how I feel. It was easier before, but now I take adderall (adderrall) and it's put me back to square one.  I tried fiber supplements, but I can't seem to drink enough water to make that effective. I remember my pharm teacher telling us about megacolon, and I don't know if I have one, but it seems possible. I do know that as soon as I get set up with my own insurance, or maybe even before, I should have a scope exam. Anyway, any suggestions, knowledgeable community?
I believe I was the same as a child my thought is that possibly from holding in BM due to the pain of passing a large BM it's damaged the nerves in the colon I've had every test the only diagnosis I received was from a defagrophy diagnosis being Anismus (pelvic floor dysfunction) i did the physical therapy for this with zero improvement and when reading up on anismus I found that it's a questionable diagnosis as someone whom has incontinence has the same pelvic floor activity as someone whom has constipation , I feel it's the nerves in the colon and intestine damaged and not producing the "propulsion" thus the urge to defecate