Gastroenterology Community
Not consenting to sedation/CRNA services

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I scheduled a colonoscopy without sedation (I had terrible long-term memory loss from Versed previously so I now decline all sedation).  The doctor told me that she had no problem with doing the colonoscopy unsedated (several of her GI doctor friends get their colonoscopies unsedated), but I had a problem with the anesthesia nurse.  The CRNA told me that an unsedated exam was "impossible" and she got upset when I disagreed.  She then told me that I had to sign her sedation consent form and that she would be present during the colonoscopy. I explained again that I  was not consenting to sedation; she finally seemed to understand this but insisted that she had to give me "a little something" and that I had to sign a sedation consent, which I refused to do.  This CRNA got quite angry and kept trying to get me to sign the form as I got wheeled into the exam room; she then told me that as a CRNA she was going to "stand by" during the exam .. but she still demanded that I sign the sedation consent.  Why would I sign a sedation consent if I'm not consenting to sedation? Another nurse advised me that if I signed the consent that I would get a bill from the CRNA; I asked the CRNA if that was true and she told me that if she was present during the case that I would certianly get a bill. I  then told the CRNA to leave; which she did do, but only after complaining that she had wasted a lot of time discussing sedation with me and that she wasn't getting paid unless I signed the consent!  By then, my BP was too high to do the test.  Is such behavior common with CRNA's?  Other nurses have always been great, is this behavior ($$$) commonplace?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I'm sorry you had to go through with this.  I think you made the right choice not to sign the consent form.  This is not a common behavior and I think you just got unlucky with a bad CRNA.  If you don't tolerate sedation well, you can also get general anesthesia which has more risks but might not cause the same side effects as last time.
I totally agree!! Politics in our country have led us like cattle to the slaughter! The very rich, big organizations, law makers, making things so querkie and messed up because only THEY know the rules that they play by!!! Our whole country has been taken hostage by every large corporation, including the medical and med insurance fields.

Your case is just one of many. Babe, stand up! Thank you for questioning their ethics!

Rob
Thanks for the comments and for the support.  I got an apology from the GI doc and she rescheduled the exam, I did the prep (again) and she did the colonoscopy without the sedation and it was easy.   Just before we started, the anesthesiologist who is in charge also apologized for the CRNA's behavior; in her opinion is was strictly a reimbursement issue (sign the consent and get billed even though they did nothing)..the anesthesiologist also offered to stand by or to give propofol (an expensive option) for free if I so desired..but I politely declined; I told her that I doubt that I will ever trust anyone from anesthesia again after my experience with the ignorant CRNA.  The anesthesiologist was very nice and apologetic and it was clear that she was really upset over the way that I was treated. And lucky me; I now need to have these exams yearly; the anesthesiologist spoke to me afterwards and offered her services for future exams as a professional courtesy (free).....I'm surprized over all of this since I didn'teally complain.  Thanks to everyone for the support!  nichole
Informed patients will refuse the date-rape drug Versed; I also refuse CRNA care since my insurance (as do most plans) pay for an anesthesiologist.  Why accept bologna (CRNA) when your insurance pays for steak (anesthesiologist?