Gastroenterology Community
Not really sure whats wrong

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Not really sure whats wrong

My name is Autumn. Im 21 yrs old. I have always had trouble with IBS (constipation, stomach pains, etc). After I had my daughter 3 yrs ago, I started having trouble with heartburn as well. I havent done much about it as Im sure I should have. I just kept tums on hand and used them as needed. Recently, I was having bad pains under my sternum after eating, nausea, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, and the pain in my stomach would hurt all the way too my back. Also, the shortness of breath sometimes would feel as though I cant breath well (which Im not sure if it was anxiety for having shortness of breath and being anxious about it). I went to the ER a week ago because it was 4 in the morning and I had yet to go to sleep. They gave mea chest xray and told me I dont have congestion. They prescribed me 600mg motrin. I made an appointment with my doctor afterwards and she did an EKG on me and said my heart is fine. she told me she thought it was my allergies. She told me to try claritin for a few weeks and let her know if it helped. Two days later I was back in the ER with all the same symptoms but also dizziness. I was diagnosed with gastritis and a UTI (which I had no Idea I had). The ER doctor told me the shortness of breath could very well be from the gastritis from my stomach pushing up on my sternum. He prescribed me pepcid 20mg two times a day and an antibiotic for the UTI. Its been about 3 days and I have yet to start feeling better. Im not sure how long its supposed to take for the gastritis to get better but I know the shortness of breath/heart palpitations are waking me up at night, almost as if Im not breathing in my sleep. Its almost like all of the symptoms are worse at night. Im not sure whats wrong with me, but I just feel too young to be having so many issues already. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get over gastritis? and if I should be feeling better by now what else this could be??? Im desperate for help because I am a single young mother and I have to take care of my 3 yr old and I feel like this is keeping me from daily activities.

This discussion is related to Extreme Gastritis - chest pain w/ heart palpatations.
i'm sorry to hear about your pain.

if you've not tried this already, try lifting up your bedframe (headboard end) with a few blocks or books.  the angle helps at night when you sleep.  putting pillows underneath you at night does not always do the trick.  also, try not eating or drinking about 3-4 hourse before going to bed (for example), 7pm or 8pm.  it helps to reduce an reflux issues.  

also, you probably want to get a gastroenterologist as a specialist.  you don't always need a referral.  this person who go beyond what the er doc says.  they are only temporary.  if you have insurance, go to the website and find a doctor there and make sure of copays and coverage for the specialist.  beyond that, don't set this because of money, because from what i've read, gastritis can be very hurtful for your health.  lastly, if you take aspirin, it could upset your intestinal track.  
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers