Gastroenterology Community
Offensive fecal odor from the anus

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Offensive fecal odor from the anus

Fecal odor from the anus is driving me crazy!

I have tried everything to resolve the situation to no avail and feel as though it's to the point of nearly destroying my life. I'm so very very embarrassed by it that I'm practically a social recluse and avoid everything. I am meticulous about personal hygiene and I dread being at work or college because its so very embarrassing.

My problem seems worse when I am tense or nervous which inevitably comes about because I am preemptively nervous about the odor, although I've never noticed any soiling in my underwear. I go regularly and clean intensely but the problem persists.

I've tried;
- regular colon cleansing by douching
- chlorophyll
- constant washing, wiping and showering
- diet change
- laxatives

Nothing satisfyingly works and I'm never rid of it! Any ideas?

This discussion is related to fecal odor.
You may want to try some probiotics. It's possible that the odor is coming from some by-products that are produced by bacterial 'digestion' and production of short chain fatty acids in the colon area. SSFA's are something we need, but if the type or output is skewed, it might result in what's currently happening.

They're not going to work immediately, but it can't hurt to try. A decent brand that is known to be effective in general is Culturelle. You can find it at drugstores, but not all carry it, so call before you go in.
Get this checked out.  My mother had a similar circumstance that turned out to be an Anal fissure.

Good luck.
Hi, I am also suffering from this odor for more than 2 yrs now. But recently I detoxified my body completely and used probiotics. Odor was gone, but when I eat certain foods which odor is coming back. So I avoided foods which my stomach is not agreeing to.

It could be heavy metal poisoning, especially mercury. I met few guys in other forums who had this same problem and it turned out to be mercury poisoning. So you better checkout that too and if it is then get rid of mercury from your body. Smell will go for good.

Any help lemme know...

Thanks,
rectalprobs

I have the exact same problem! Many of the other posts on fecal body odor and related symptoms I have read on this site do not apply to me fully, but how you are explaining the odor problem applies to my problem exactly.

I have never noticed any leakage/soiling in my underwear and also seem to notice the smell when I get really anxious or nervous. And the sad thing is I am a really anxious person so just about anything puts me a little on edge. I have seen that the odor gets more noticeable when I am in nerve-racking situations, like if I'm in small quarters, because I know there is a possibility that the odor will arrive suddenly and it always does [perhaps I also pay more attention to the odor in tight quarters which is why it seems to be more prevalent in these situations but I don't think this is the case. I think my worries about the odor end up eventually triggering the odor.]  

In addition to when I'm nervous, the smell also seems to be more prevalent after I eat which initially led me to believe that it was IBS or some other digestive issue, especially since I have always had a lot of digestive issues and have never sought treatment for any of them. But now I am taking fiber supplements every day and am eating more fruits/veggies in addition to exercising and taking steps to decrease my stress level [which have not been completely successful but it is a lot more tolerable than before] and I no longer have any digestive issues but the odor still persists.

I can't offer you a lot of advice since I am still in the process of testing out things but I'll tell you what I have tried thus far, even though none have helped me, but who knows it may help someone else.

I've tried:

Fiber supplements

laxatives

enemas

Antibacterial soap [+ lots of showering and washing multiple times a day]

Antibacterial wipes [for use throughout the day]

baby powder, gold bond powder

Dietary changes [but I have not been very consistent with them, so I have decided to give it another try because it seems to have helped a lot of people. I am starting a diet that eliminates dairy, sugar, very fatty foods, wheat, oats, gluten, meats, nuts, broccoli, anything spicy and rice. I haven't really figured out how to supplement everything I am going to be missing without these foods so any advice on vitamin supplements would be much appreciated.]

Things I am planning on trying next if dietary changes don't work:

Internal Deodorant tablets, like Nullo (If anyone has taken these or any other chlorophyll/chlorophyllin tablets I would love to know if they worked because it almost seems too good to be true)

Detoxification [still a little uncertain about the best ways to effectively do this]

Probiotics [have never tried them but if the odor is caused by Candida, then this may just do the trick]

Lastly, if none of these work I am going to have to suck up my courage and just go speak to my doctor about the odor, no matter how embarrassing it is going to be.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress and would appreciate to know about any effective methods anyone else has used to solve this problem.
Thanks!

KYOLIC GARLIC TABLETS may help ive had this problem for abt 6 months now and just started using garlic a few days ago so far it has reduced the odor alot...ill keep you guys posted i hope everybody finds a cure to this senseless problem
nevermind i thought the garlic was helping but the problem is back..
dont know what to do now i hope this just goes away somehow
ive got the excact same problem but mines been on going for 12 years now and really get me down,its a relief that someone else has got the same problem as me just need to get this sorted out once and for all
I have also experienced anal odor and anal discharge. What I did was to pray. I prayed for quite sometime and then I was lead to stop eating foods that caused IBS. I would either have IBS or constipation. Once this leveled off, the doctors found that I had a fistula. I received treatment for that and took probiotics. Later I was lead to do anal floor muscle exercises. This is where you pull your anal muscle up and hold for so many seconds to strengthen the anal muscles. I'm not sure when I was treated for the fistula but it was in 2009. I began the probiotics and exercises this year around February. I have not had a problem since that I can remember. However I would encourage you to pray first. What your body needs to recover may be different from the next person. Before, I keep reading everything I possibly could on this issue and tried many things, but none of them really worked for me. Then I prayed and cried for a while and things began to turn around. I believe that it can turn around for you as well. I hope this helps you.
You are not alone obviously. I am put at ease to see others with this condition. Still I am looking for answers. The reaction by strangers is more geniune than relatives and friends. They all say the dont smell anything.I dont either always, but we all know its there. I've tried most of the things that i've read on this forum' to no evail. I'm going to google home remedies to see if i can find something.
I totally understand your struggle I think we have the same exact thing because my smell is horrible as well sometimes people cough or say that they feel like throwing up and it's just driving me deeper and deeper into depression it's literally every where I go people have to make a comment or you just know and people treat me like trash even some people that I used to talk to just stopped talking to me completely  I understand the anguish and frustrations your are going through I just want an answer.
I am a 50 y.o. female from Brazil, I also have this problem, and have been suffering for over 20 years, I tried so many things, went to so many doctors, but recently I found something about WEAK PELVIC MUSCLES, and I found many articles about this, that I may have this problem because I had constipation in the past.  I am trying KEGEL exercises and eletroestimulation (I bought a machine from quark, and am using it everyday).  Since I started these exercising, since 1 year ago, I am feeling the muscles of my anus are becoming stronger.  I still have the problem of odor, but I am hopefull that after more exercising I some day soon I will get rid of this problem.  I really pray I am right.

I'm 25 years old and have been suffering from this problem till the age of 15. I remember it all started during my brother's wedding. All types of spicy foods were served and the ceremony lasted for 4 days. I remember that because of the spicy foods, i started constipating and this lasted for all these days.

From that time i started having foul odors from my rectum. At start, i didn't pay attention because i didn't know i had fecal odours. It started gradually, starting with back biting comments from other individuals to apparent gestures like coughing, covering the nose with finger, etc... I even met some gastrologists and one prescribed me some watercress which is a veggie usually accompanied in salad which is full of chlorophyll and fibre.

From research i made and information provided from other people in other forums, chlorophyll acts as a deterrent to foul body odors. I've tried the watercress on a daily basis and seen a progress in my fight against anal odour.

I also avoid as much as possible spicy and chilli foods. These caused my anal to burn and eventually to swell. I also use some antiseptic powder to mask the odour and i use some herbal laxative namely colocyll senna to help me ensure my gut is clean and empty.

It may be loose stools / permanent diarrhea.

I'm a 54 yr old [male] and need to take 1 small bottle of metamucil [or store equivalent]  pills daily. My discharge is so clean I do not need toilet paper.

No smel  !!!!!!!!!!!
Suggestion:  Eat Two Bunches of Raw Parsley Everyday*

Hi!  I used to suffer from the same embarrassing problem!  I overcame it using very inexpensive means!  I feel it’s my OBLIGATION to share**.  
My (brief) story:  in 1999 I decided to return to college to finish up a degree I tried for years to complete.  I was trying to go to school and working full time.  My stress level was insanely high.  A year of this, my anus began to emit fecal like odor.  I tried everything:  washing, (at one point I was taking 8 showers a day), wiping, and wearing diaper.  Nothing worked.  After my graduation, I got a job.  My co-workers made fun of me or whispered behind me.  It was sheer hell.
The solution:  I noticed my problem would be worse when I drank coffee and when I was stressed out.  So I stopped drinking coffee.  Also I googled around and discovered that eating parsley could be a cure***.  I began to buy bunches of parsley and eat them raw.  It was not easy but I had no alternative.  I kept eating parsley – two or even three bunches everyday.  I did this for about six months.  The odor went away.  
I hope my sharing will help.  I was so depressed when I was suffering from this problem.  I know how you feel.
I will be praying for you!!  Good luck!!!!

*Sometimes I simply can’t chew and swallow the parsley anymore so I would chopped the parsley up and mix it with tomato and lemon juice and eat it like a salad.
**I had limited insurance when I was going through this crisis.  Western doctors couldn’t tell me what’s wrong with me.  Chinese herbalists MIGHT have been able to cure me, but I didn’t have enough resources (aka $$$ and time) to try their method (boiling those Chinese medications takes HOURS and they smell!!!)

***After researching, I found out my problem was probably related to kidney.  I got a scan of my kidney – nothing was wrong.  Nevertheless, I started buying vitamin pills that would cleanse kidney.  It was too expensive for me.  Then I learned eating raw parsley would also do the trick.  
I am praying for everybody with anal odor problems.   I thought I was going crazy but I relize I'm not the only one with this.   I have been depressed and felt like ending it all.   But my faith in the Lord Jesus has made me
hold on.  I beleive he can heal me.   My doctors have no clue what to do.
I am believing God for TOTAL healing.  I want to live again.  I want to live a normal life again.  (  Going to ballgames, Church , school and work around
people again.   I am praying fot you all I know what your going thuough.
Hang in there.................
Please go to a colo-rectal surgeon and ask for a diagnostic test called Dynamic MRI of The Pelvic Floor, I bet half of you have pelvic floor dysfunction/prolapse. I was just diagnosed with internal intussusception which is causing me to smell like feces despite perfect hygiene. Don't waste your time with GIs like I did for 2 yrs. I hate to say it but the diagnosis of IBS is worst than cancer.
I am 22 years old male also suffering from the same symptom since last 7 years. I was in a HSC when I felt irritation and inflammation in my anus. Whenever I hv stool a stickly white or yellow mucus dischrge with fishy odour comes fom my anus. If I sit for long time I experence some wetness in my anus followed by fishy smell. I am not alcoholic neitther I take coffee still I have this problem. Even my best friends fom school tease me indirectly by passing comments about it and so do my college classmates.
When I go to class people around me experience some fishy smell fout of me. I stopped thinking about it. But as soon as i visit class or college people experienced same thing and passed weird comments about it.The problem is still there nw i completed my graduation. I also visited plenty of doctors and they told me its in your mind. Even my parents tell me same thing that u r perfectly fine. But I knw what the problem is as it has been 7 years. I also tried many medicines but none helped me. I also used Diltiazem hydrochloride cream it helped me little. I also take sitz bath but it is also nt useful. Yesterday I took saline sitz bath it helped me a lot I dint xperence smell bt i m nt sure it may come. I also had a barium enaema and colonoscopy test done both were negative. Recently I visited a doctor and he diagnosed me with anal fissure. I am very depressed PlZ HELP ME in sorting out this things and suggest me some medicines to cure this
I happen to run into this post and I has a few ideas that might work. First of all I would try braggs apple cider vinegar both internally (drink) and externally (apply to anal area).  Google Braggs ACV and order the book. Wonderful healing product!  I have used the vinegar to cure a minor case of hemroids as well as anal itch. It stings at first but you need to keep applying it till it stops stinging. Works wonders.
Lastly, and this I recommend to  everyone, is to do the Master Cleanse detox diet for at least 10 days. May be the hardest thing you've ever had to do but i consider it one of the biggest life changing experiences I've ever done. Do your research, read blogs from other people who have done it. Buy the book by Stanley Burroughs. And for good measure, incorporate a "P & B" shake once or twice a day while on the this detox diet. I really feel that this combination will help most the people who have issues with anal odor and such. A P & B shake is a mixture of two wonderful intestinal cleansing and detox products:  psyllium husks (powder flakes) and Bentonite Clay (liquid) mix the two together chug it down fast and follow with water throughout the day. You can do this even when not on the master cleanse diet too. Again , do your research here. This combo detox diet us simply the most life changing event that your body can experience. As long as it us done right of course  .  Good luck.
Has anyone had any respiratory problems as well (i.e., chronic rhinitis, difficulty breathing through nose, short breaths)?
I have prayed and cried for years and the problem is still here , doctors are clueless and i just dont know where else to go for help from this embarrassing problem!
Hi I just read your comment and going to try your suggestion , I was just wondering if the smell ever came back or are you still using the parsely method to control the smell? My nightmare began when i was fourteen years old , I am now 21 years old , I am a woman so you can imagine how this has ruined my life. I'm a walking gray cloud!, Im going to try your suggestion and hope it work thanks for the help.!
I have been working with cadmium and I have had this problem. I am 48 and it probably started at 45. It comes and goes. Who do I see to check for cadmium?
I have a solution that worked for me.

I too had unbelievably bad rectal odor.  When it was at its worst the smell was quite indescribable, but I couldn't believe the human body could produce a smell that bad in someone that appeared otherwise healthy.  At other times it smelled like a poopy diaper, or another strange odor which I can only liken to wet oil-based paint.  I was extremely hygienic but the smell was pretty much always there, and was often much worse shortly after using the toilet, even if I took a shower afterward.  This does not seem to be the same problem people have with a fishy smell, by the way.

SO, the solution for me turned out to be straightforward: Avoid all foods containing animal products.  No meat, eggs, or dairy, including any foods that have ingredients such as whey, milk solids, etc.  Basically, I've had to become a vegan, which kind of ***** but it's nothing compared to that life-destroying odor problem.  Honestly the hardest part is coming up with some lame excuse to give people when they ask why you've decided to become a vegetarian.  Plus, going to the toilet is a much more pleasant experience since you always have plenty of fiber :)

I HIGHLY recommend people with this problem try this solution for a few weeks, and if it's the same problem I have, your symptoms will go away.

Some other tips:
- Try using wet wipes to wipe your bum, especially if you have hemorrhoids.  Any irritation down there seems to make the problem worse.
- Try applying a bit of petroleum jelly to the anus.  It seems to help prevent the odor from escaping somewhat.  Not too much though, since it can actually show through your pants, skirt, etc.  I don't have to do this anymore, but it did help, if only a little.
- Read the ingredient labels of everything you buy!  You will most likely slip up at first and get some bread with milk products in it or something, but you'll get used to it quickly.
- Stick to the diet.  Even having a little chicken can cause the odor to return for a few days.
- Get a book on how to be a vegetarian so you have ideas on what to eat, and how to make sure you're getting all your essential nutrients.

Good luck!

It's a possibility that it may be from Lactose Intolerance?  Try taking Lactaid before you eat dairy products.  Guarenteed, it will solve the problem.  :o)
Same problems here, for almost 10 years. Now I'm almost sure is TMAU, the key is, that I though TMAU patients, suffered fish body odour, but now I know that also can be fecal body odour, my case. Everyone have the same symptoms. When I getting nervous, is always worse. I've noticed that when I take Alprazolam, or Xanax, my anus is dry, never wet, and I never smell to anyone. I've started a week ago with probiotics + prebiotics, also I'm taking metronidazole, cause I think I can have TMAU2 (I've never suffered fecal body odur until I was 23 years old, or other bad odours), because could erradicate the bad bacteria from my gut, and could eliminate the problem. Also I'm trying a diet without or really low level of coline. Also I'm starting to take charcoal and chlorophyll tablets, and B2 vitamin or Riboflavin. With all of this, the problem should be erased, I hope. I'm from Spain, in my country, TMAU test is not available, and one MD sent me to the psychiatrist because of this problem. Of course I have a problem, and I think it is TMAU2, that caused me Social Phobia or social anxiety disorder, or even agoraphobia (not really this last one). Sometimes I have really bad moments, because sometimes I'm a little sensitive person with this problem. Sometimes I've been really angry because of this problem, and funny people who made jokes about my odour, had paid with their faces, but I always tell myself: "If I'm not strong, no one will be strong for me". So, I keep going and going, like everyone of you. After years, I'm trying all the probiotics, riboflavin... from last week, and I hope it works, still too soon to know. But I'm feeling better these days, my anus is more or less dry without alprazolam, but still is too soon. Also I'm using skim cream and soap with a low ph level, 5. Because if TMAU is what causes my odour problem, it goes out of my body in the form of alkaline sweat, and acid skin care or gel, must neutralize the fecal odour. I can't tell you anymore. Give me some time, and I will write if all these works, or not. In the past, I thought I had candidiasis, gilbert syndrome, internal hemorrhoids, hipothyroidism and IBS. And now I don't discard also the leaky gut syndrome. I've written all that I could and I know. I've been reading a lot these days, and I think I'm close to solve this problem, but, is still a thinking. Anyone, if you think you smell like poo, fish... is always better tell it to your family, friends... after telling them, this, you will feel really relieved (that was my cause). Sometimes life is hard, I have a friend who only take one shower a week, and does exercise, work... and never never smells.
OMG i swear i am just tired of this problem. When i sit down my butt sweat after 2 minutes then the smell comes out of no where. Even when i am walking. WTF?! It is only at school [ at home it may sweat but not smell. My family told me many times i don't smell. It is getting worse that i have to use PADS [for females] and put them around my anus but it helps with the sweating. It is like my anal is all the way open and the sweat causes the smell to come. I sweat from mu anus before but no smell. I went to the doctor and he thought it was constipation [ he gave me metacil something like that] but that didn't help. Then i thought it was an anal yeast infection. I tried NIZORAL CREAM and that didn't work.

Here are thing i Tried but still didn't work

- Wet wipes [ or baby wipes]
- PerspireX for sweating but didn't work.
-Eating Yogurt alot
- I take shower everyday btw
- I wipe really good that i see nothing on the toilet paper in the end.
-baby powder

Nothing works. I can't even ask the girl i like out on a date. Everyone laughs in glass, most hold there nose. It is ruining my life. The doctors don't know anything. Like ur a doctor  you should know my problem. he set an appointment with dermatologist for MARCH ???? WTF it's beginning of February. First day of semester and people already notice it's me. Why ME?? I need a Real CURE!!!!!!! Or i might just drop out of school . and be lonely.....**** man ! why is my butt smell like ****. I didn't poop myself so wtf!!!!!!!!! where is that motherfucking smell coming from.
Ive found that a hydro codone stops the stress about it and the sweat too. Obviously this is a problem all on its own but a hydro before work and pro biotics with healthy meals and i dont have the problem. Also Ive heard bleaching the anus will help because it gets rid of the stain around the anus but I havent rtried this?? But cleaning gently and not digging at it everytime your in the shower or toilet cuts down the redness and seems to take the mess back closer to the inside. I kno how embarrasing this is tho so a doctor would be better at fixing the problem. Áfter all it would be worth paying copay for a resolve....... Good luck.. but seriously quit digging!!!!
I still have the problem. I was wrong again, I think everything was OK, but this week again I heard comments. I'm going to visit a new MD, a specialist, because there are so many stupid and incompetent MD, that is a shame. I've always thought that my bad odur was caused by the sweat out of my anus. But now I have another clue, "anal fissure". That's why my anus sometimes itches and stings!!! And I think is chronic, partly caused by hemorrhoids. I don't have it everydy, because heals, but because of constipation or diarrhea, reappers. Promise you, besides this might seem pathetic, yesterday I took a look to my anus with a mirror, I took a photo, and took a look to google images. And now, I know for sure I have an "Anal Fissure", and this is what can cause my bad odour. Even female paintiliners didn't work for me !!! Because at least in my case, I think is not a sweat anus problem, unless I suffer TMAU. Is because the anal fissure, caused by constipation and/or diarrhea. But still I have to visit a specialist.
I forgot something. Like you, the last years. I've associated my fecal body odour with the sweat from my anus. And, I repeat, unless is TMAU, the problem is caused by an anal fissure, chronic, my case, I guess. I read that is because constipation and/or diarrhea, which can cause a narrowing of the anal canal. The solution is surgery. But in my case, I think I've located the source of the problem. Anyway, probiotics and diet helps. The two weeks before this week, I haven't heard any comment regarding to my FBO, until last Sunday, a tough day at bathroom (there was some blood in the toilet paper after cleaning, caused again by the anal fissure). Problem?? I still have it, and it heals in two three weeks.
OK, this is being like my personal diary of this problem. And I think I found the root of the problem... again, I hope this time is the right one. Well I tried a lot, and nothing helps. I think I don't have TMAU. I've never had halitosis and I never had another disgusting body odour than my FBO (that's the worst kind of odour you can have) and there's no a TMAU test in my crap Country, Spain, where MD are almost illliterate (at least with this problem, in my case). Always happens to me, when my *** sweats. Nor my close friends neither my family smells anything, but is like everybody else does. It happened to me in different countries, places, situations. Is not an hygienic problem, and is like nothing works. Last week I found out I had an anal fissure (a little one, like a skin fold). I know, or I think I know, that if my anus sweats, I'm sold!!! and I think that if a have to take a long walk is gonna be worse, and with a hot weather, a nightmare. Now I think I know why this is happening, and at least, this could be a valid explanation. In my case, I think is not a TMAU problem, not an hygienic problem, not incontinence, not mucus, not a yellow liquid from my anus, not nothing, except sweat from my anus, and no other odour from my body. Everything is caused by my anal muscles, that's why nothing works and not everytime my BO is disgusting, and not for everybody. Of course the root of the problem is an anal fissure (like pregnant women can have after giving birth), chronic or not, caused by a bowel inflammation, chronic, or that has happened for a long time. Of course diet helps, or must help. Constipation can provoke an anal fissure, but also a "difficult" diarrhea. Laxatives are not the answer, nullo is not the answer, nor chlorophyll, nor deodorant... There are two options, botox in your anal muscles, or surgery. I have an appoinment with a proctologist in June, and during this time I'm gonna try exercises to relax my anal channel and/or muscles (I don't have any other option).  If you have my same symptoms, check it out, if after a long walk in a sunny day, basides having your anus wet, you feel like a heavy sensation in that part of your body, or like is at hundred degrees celsius. If this happens to you, the problem is your anal muscles (the opposite of incontinence).
I forgot something. This problem caused me some psychological problems, like social anxiety disorder or social phobia, and perhaps, sometimes agoraphobia. I know that alprazolam or Xanax, helps a lot, is a fact. When I take those tablets, there is no sweat in that part of the body. Contrary to that I thought are not my social problems what causes my FBO, is my FBO what causes my social problems. And Xanax worked for me, because I feel relaxed and I relax my sphincter muscles (without knowing this). I don't know I've just read about diciclomine (to relax my anal muscles) and electro-stimulation of that zone, biofeedback.... but I still need time. But I'm pretty sure that the friction of my buttlocks while I'm walking plus my tight anal muscles, is what cause that sweat, or when I'm in a bad mood.... And that's why when you're relaxed at home, and/or with your friends and/or couple, that part of your body is dry. Is because you feel relaxed, and unconsciously you are relaxing that zone, and nobody smells you anything. And when you feel there's gonna be a BO problem, it happens.
It's me... again. A new improvement the last few days. By chance I found out the cause of this problem, and now 100% accurate. At least my problem is, an anal chronic fissure in my anal channel. The sweat in that area?? Is because the pressure caused in the anal channel and/or the anal fissure inside that area. The itching and swelling in that area?? Because an internal anal fissure. Why benzodiazepines work sometimes?? Because are also "relaxing muscles" solutions. Why if you're getting nervous is worse?? Cause that zone is influenced by different moods and can increase or decrease the pressure in that zone. Why constipation or diarrhea makes the situation worse?? Because increase the pressure in that zone. Why deodorants and having 1000 showers doesn't work?? Because is an internal problem, not external. What I am using now?? I'm using "rectogesic" cream. This cream relieves the pressure in that zone, and the sweat and "bad" sensations in that zone, greatly diminished. Problem is, that is a little expensive and the are some side effects. But it works, at least, something works in a couple of minutes.
OMG , i'm so dumb! Guys this is NOT SWEATING! sweat does not sweat ! sweat doesn't create odor. For example your armpits sweat but the bacteria causes the odor. Anyways it is not sweat ! you think it's sweat because it just gets wet and you're not sure. THIS problem is Anal Leakage ! or fecal incontinence! My problem started in September , when everyone said "what is the smell" .I was scared and thought it was me because my butt was wet. A lot of people sweat in that area when playing sports or going to the gym but most don't have a smell. If you have these symptoms then you have anal leakage:

-When you sit down your butt get wet.
-Awful Smell
-When you are sitting it feels like you need to poop or something and you are trying to hold it.
When you wipe your butt , it gets wet after 4-6 minutes or less.

So if you wipe , the sweat i gone! But this is not sweating guys! THIS is Anal Leakage! I am meeting a surgeon to get this cured.

You're probably leaking because of many reasons like Inflammatory Disease or Constipation or Diarrhea or maybe anal nerve muscles are damaged. So see ur doc.

In the mean time i found things that reduced the smell and wetness but not COMPLETELY ! The smell is still there and people do notice it but it's more comfortable and less leakage. This is what helped me a little.

- Have a bowel movement once a day(normal) if can't then u have
constipation that is causing the problem

- Practice to control the external anal sphincter : Tense ur anus as hard as you can for 5 seconds or longer as if you were trying to hold gas. Practice ten times a day.

- Relax and don't be stressed cuz it can cause this problem too.

-after bowel movement before wiping tense up butt for 6-10 seconds and release for 3-5 times { this will leak most the waste in you butt]

- Drink Cranberry Juice and eat Garlic daily ! Cranberry juice is really good for digestive system!

- eat Healthy like Yogurt and eat foods with high vitamins and proteins like eggs and Orange Juice has 100% vitamin C which is really good.

-Shower Daily and scrub that are gently with loofah.

-Exercise daily and or play sports.

- Don't Wipe too hard because you will damage your anus , take your time.

-Eat FRESH vegetables and FRUITS which helps too.

-Take a lot of fiber (Metamucil)

So guys i did this on Sunday and i saw improvement on next day (Monday at school) and it's Wednesday and still go better and more comfortable!
I hope i can cure this! People still do notice the smell but it has gotten better! I hope it goes away soon! Don't sit somewhere for too long! I sit in class for 75 minutes and i try to get up at least twice for whatever excuse ! LOL!

But yah , and the other thing is if you shower daily and you have that butt smell ; RElax and don't think it's always you who smells like ****! you don't smell like **** generally. I found that stress and thinking it's always you and getting embarrassed is also  another cause of this! You have a medical problem and that's why it smells so JUST  RELAX and be comfortable!

BUT until you get CURED , just ignore people that's what i try to do! If people or your friends are nice and REAL friends then they won't make fun of you! I hope this helped ! I swear i thought it was sweat at first but noo no no it was leakage . I will update when i meet my surgeon in April ! Later

It is so humiliating and shameful. Suicide has been on my mind frequently. I am back at work, but it still smells bad. People say they can smell it, but not as often as I can. I am making an appt. with a naturopath this week. I am at the end of my rope with limited money and means to cure this!
About 2 years ago- out of the blue- I inexplicably developed this flesh decaying odor problem.  At my wits end and out of experiments and doctors ideas to clear it up-  I solved my horrible problem by accident when my dermatologist gave me a prescription for Doxycyline to clear up my face & eye rosecea.

For the past 15 months I have experimented 3 times to confirm my observastion. If I quit taking the Doxy, the flesh-decaying odor comes back in about a week.  When I resume taking the Doxy- the odor is gone within 3 days.  

I chatted with my dermatologist yesterday about my observations. She said the Doxy is an anitbiotic that will kill many different types of bacteria in the body and I must have a gut bacteria that was making the odor.  The down side is the stench causing bacteria could become resistant to the Doxy.  (I sure hope not.  Me, my family and coworkers can't live with that stench. )

I hope this observation helps others.

I bet you are right IBSKiller0917.

It's pelvis or anus.  Also being over weight increases pressure in that area. A history of constipation can cause straining and damage over time.

http://www.stmarksfoundation.org/uploads/docs/patientinformationleaflets/SM07-05%20Anal%20%20leakage.pdf

The above link indicates this problem may be due to weak sphincter muscles which do not close tightly and therefore trap stool in the anus and allow gas leakage and stool leakage.

The above PDF gives specific exercises to help strengthen those muscles. Hope this helps...
You are not alone.  I have lost all incentive to live and live a life with absolutely no dignity.  I go to college, work part time and everywhere I go my stench follows me. People around me are offended and comment about my stench (rightly so, it is disgusting).  I also am meticulous with my hygiene.  I wash after every bowel movement, in between bowel movements, I have tried pads with cologne, everything, changing my diet, enemas.  IT WILL NOT GO AWAY.  I am SO EMBARRASSED, all the time.  I am a social recluse and have little sanity left.  I have had two operations, they both made me worse, the first one actually destroyed my outer sphincter.  I so look forward to death.  I now live alone and will never be able to have a relationship again!
I totally understand what you are going through.  I have had the same problem for at least the last 4 years, but it seems like maybe even longer.  I know it can be very depressing, but I have read about people who were cured of this.  Please don't give up.  I basically always wear headphones in public except when I am at work.  This helps a bit to block out the comments and whispers I sometimes hear, and especially the coughing.  Try not to give up.  From my research, I think it might be rectal prolapse, fistula, or internal intussusception.  In your case, maybe you could get to the a different colorectal surgeon who might be able to diagnose you and fix the problem.  If other people have beat this, you can too.
I am also a sufferer of this problem for over the past 5 years and it was never easy for me.

If I go back to see how it started, actually, I have no one but myself  to blame for all this, back in yr 2007 when it started, I was suffering at that time from prolong chronic constipation, and I never cared much about what I am eating and had many other things on my mind, infact I never new that anyone can ever suffer from such sort of a problem. One morning, I starting smelling like SH** sitting in the office and reaction of people around me confirmed it, and this never stopped till now, although improved a bit.

Like all of you I had been to many doctors, and discussed the mucus secretion and bad odor problem, it was one who said it could be weak sphincter problem, the rest suggested that since I have never had any stain on my inner/underwear, that's why its not sphincter weakness. I am not sure about both these opinions, there can be a possibility that my sphincters are weak, as when I was having severe constipation 5 years ago, I had to travel to some place far away every morning, so I had to bear the pressure on my sphincter while travelling every morning, and this happened for months, which might have caused the weakness OR to be specific, internal sphincter weakness/ loose tone.

I was suggested to do sphincter strengthening exercises, and I did it for sometime, but unfortunately these exercises are not for those with weak internal sphincter, people with weak anal resting tone might not benefit much from it, those internal anal sphincter are involuntary muscles i.e. you don't have control over them, they are supposed to stay closed by themselves, you cannot exercise the internal sphincters. Its the squeezing muscles (external sphincter ) that you can improve by exercise.

Now the mucus discharge has reduced by 90 %. But the odor problem is not totally gone. especially when I feel the urge to go to the toilet then this fecal odor is also accompanied with the urge. i.e. when ever there is stool in the rectum the odor is there, which means that the anus is not totally shut, or I may say tightly shut. This keeps suggesting there is something wrong with the mechanisms of how sphincter relaxes and contracts etc etc.

One of the colonoscopy rectal biopsy report showed I have non specific colitis, which means inflammation in the rectum, but it was not much as the physician didn't notice it much visually, it was diagnosed under the microscope.

I don't know whether the sphincter weakness is due to inflammation on or near the sphincter areas. I didn't find any clue on the internet about it, its all usual stuff I have been reading over the years..............

Sometimes I don't believe medical science is so clue less about such problems. if the population of this world is 6 billion means there are 6 billion *****/anus around,.. why isn't there a proper mechanism in place to deal with such problems.  

Mucus secretion is also caused by some inflammation in the intestines/colon/rectum, Can the weakness of internal anal sphincter (weak resting tone) be due to inflammation in the rectum???? Can anyone comment on it?? I know an inflamed rectum looses it elasticity for storing stool but leaking smell from stool??, I duno ..

Suffering from similar symptoms for years. Many doctors said to me i was crazy after tons of medical test went out negative, until i did an xray defecography. I have internal rectal prolapse and going through surgery for that in the next weeks. Good luck to all.
I have been suffering for about 6 months now. I have an odor coming from my anus. I am 42. This issue just suddenly happened. I have no idea how. I've been going to a GI, but he cant find anything. I am going to try different things, and will keep posting my progress (or lack there of). Right now, I'm trying a glass of metamucil/day and a 2-3 glasses of apple cider vinager a day. Oh, and praying.
well, its been about a month since my last post. I'm still experiencing the odor issue. I'm thinking it might be linked to what i eat. 2 weeks ago i did a 3-day detox, where all i had were fruit and veggie smoothies. By the third day, the odor was gone. however, after that third day, I started eating normally again; ie meats, dairy, sweets, and the odor came back almost immediately. I cant go back to nothing to but veggies smoothies though. I live to eat. I'm still taking the metamucil and my 'movements' are often and complete. I'm also still drinking the apple cider vinegar. I just keep hoping one day i'll wake up and the odor is gone. I work in 'cube city' and i hate it whenever anyone comes to my cube.
I'm taking probiotics, but they are pretty weak. So, I'm going to try Culturelle. I'll be back and let you know my status.
I suffered from a fishy smell coming from my anus. Heard the whispers saw the faces frown & people cover their noses. This went on for about 7 years. Finally read a post where someone did a detox & saw yeast in their stool & their problem was solved. I did research & found black walnut hull & wormwood. Both are good for candida (yeast), parasites & toxins. I used them & my problem is solved no more body odor. The odor is due to yeast over growth in our bodies & parasites. I also took liquid bentonite & psyllium husk to bind the toxins & dead parasites to prevent die off symptoms. Do a google search for the black walnut hull, wormwood, liquid bentonite & psyllium husk. You should be able to find them all in your local health food store or you can order online from a herbal supplier. I ordered the cut & sifted black walnut hull & wormwood in bulk form. I brewed it & drank it as a tea.
Thanks. I'm going to take your advice. Just a couple of questions; I'm taking Metamucil which contains psyllium husk. Is that good enough or do I need to take the actual stuff? Also, how long did you have to take this stuff before you noticed the difference? Do you take evrything once a day? All together? Or will these questions be answered once i get everything?
It's heart breaking to see so many people suffering with this issue. I've had a fecal smell wafting around me for nearly fifteen years now. Two pilonidal sinus operations. One fistula operation. The smell remains. The doctors and professors say that I'll have to live with it as they can't do any more. I've lost all my friends. Can't blame them really. This is the first time I've been to this site and its encouraging to know there may be other things I can try. Psychologically, it's a killer. I drive a dustcart out of choice because I thought the smell of rubbish may hide my stench. I stand downwind of people I meet. I cleanse till I'm sore. If I could stand under a shower till rapture, I'd be happy.
I've been researching for the past hour and come across something interesting. I don't know if it's been mentioned on the forum before or if anyone knows more. I found it here http://www.humanclinicals.org/champex/
yeah, this issue completely *****. i will check out the website you listed. i'll keep trying things and posting the results. i have been drinking a couple of teaspoons of Braggs Aplle Cider Vinegar, the smell is still with me. however, its not as bad on some days, as others. not sure why. i keep track of everything i eat, but have been to find a pattern; some days are just better than others.
Sorry to hear you're suffering as well. I've buried my head for too long now. I've been locked on the net for what seems like days now looking for my silver bullet. I was naive to pretend that doctors would eliminate it one day. I've ordered some branded champex from a UK supplier although I believe boots have started to sell the champignon extract in a 5 day starter body cleanse package. It's only stage one of my quest for the holy trail. If this works, and I pray it does, I don't think I can afford to stay on it as the doses required could mean £30 will burn every two weeks. I'll keep the forum posted. I know this sounds wrong,but it's nice to know I'm not the only one.
so, did it work for you? if so, will you tell me exactly what you did? i've just been trying to change up my diet. nothing is consistent, though. i may have one or two good days, then four or five bad days. i do take fiber daily. and try to drink fruit and veggie smoothies. i dont know if there is any way to clear this up...