Offensive fecal odor from the anus
Fecal odor from the anus is driving me crazy!

I have tried everything to resolve the situation to no avail and feel as though it's to the point of nearly destroying my life. I'm so very very embarrassed by it that I'm practically a social recluse and avoid everything. I am meticulous about personal hygiene and I dread being at work or college because its so very embarrassing.

My problem seems worse when I am tense or nervous which inevitably comes about because I am preemptively nervous about the odor, although I've never noticed any soiling in my underwear. I go regularly and clean intensely but the problem persists.

I've tried;
- regular colon cleansing by douching
- chlorophyll
- constant washing, wiping and showering
- diet change
- laxatives

Nothing satisfyingly works and I'm never rid of it! Any ideas?

This discussion is related to fecal odor.
I have a solution that worked for me.

I too had unbelievably bad rectal odor.  When it was at its worst the smell was quite indescribable, but I couldn't believe the human body could produce a smell that bad in someone that appeared otherwise healthy.  At other times it smelled like a poopy diaper, or another strange odor which I can only liken to wet oil-based paint.  I was extremely hygienic but the smell was pretty much always there, and was often much worse shortly after using the toilet, even if I took a shower afterward.  This does not seem to be the same problem people have with a fishy smell, by the way.

SO, the solution for me turned out to be straightforward: Avoid all foods containing animal products.  No meat, eggs, or dairy, including any foods that have ingredients such as whey, milk solids, etc.  Basically, I've had to become a vegan, which kind of ***** but it's nothing compared to that life-destroying odor problem.  Honestly the hardest part is coming up with some lame excuse to give people when they ask why you've decided to become a vegetarian.  Plus, going to the toilet is a much more pleasant experience since you always have plenty of fiber :)

I HIGHLY recommend people with this problem try this solution for a few weeks, and if it's the same problem I have, your symptoms will go away.

Some other tips:
- Try using wet wipes to wipe your bum, especially if you have hemorrhoids.  Any irritation down there seems to make the problem worse.
- Try applying a bit of petroleum jelly to the anus.  It seems to help prevent the odor from escaping somewhat.  Not too much though, since it can actually show through your pants, skirt, etc.  I don't have to do this anymore, but it did help, if only a little.
- Read the ingredient labels of everything you buy!  You will most likely slip up at first and get some bread with milk products in it or something, but you'll get used to it quickly.
- Stick to the diet.  Even having a little chicken can cause the odor to return for a few days.
- Get a book on how to be a vegetarian so you have ideas on what to eat, and how to make sure you're getting all your essential nutrients.

Good luck!

It's a possibility that it may be from Lactose Intolerance?  Try taking Lactaid before you eat dairy products.  Guarenteed, it will solve the problem.  :o)
Same problems here, for almost 10 years. Now I'm almost sure is TMAU, the key is, that I though TMAU patients, suffered fish body odour, but now I know that also can be fecal body odour, my case. Everyone have the same symptoms. When I getting nervous, is always worse. I've noticed that when I take Alprazolam, or Xanax, my anus is dry, never wet, and I never smell to anyone. I've started a week ago with probiotics + prebiotics, also I'm taking metronidazole, cause I think I can have TMAU2 (I've never suffered fecal body odur until I was 23 years old, or other bad odours), because could erradicate the bad bacteria from my gut, and could eliminate the problem. Also I'm trying a diet without or really low level of coline. Also I'm starting to take charcoal and chlorophyll tablets, and B2 vitamin or Riboflavin. With all of this, the problem should be erased, I hope. I'm from Spain, in my country, TMAU test is not available, and one MD sent me to the psychiatrist because of this problem. Of course I have a problem, and I think it is TMAU2, that caused me Social Phobia or social anxiety disorder, or even agoraphobia (not really this last one). Sometimes I have really bad moments, because sometimes I'm a little sensitive person with this problem. Sometimes I've been really angry because of this problem, and funny people who made jokes about my odour, had paid with their faces, but I always tell myself: "If I'm not strong, no one will be strong for me". So, I keep going and going, like everyone of you. After years, I'm trying all the probiotics, riboflavin... from last week, and I hope it works, still too soon to know. But I'm feeling better these days, my anus is more or less dry without alprazolam, but still is too soon. Also I'm using skim cream and soap with a low ph level, 5. Because if TMAU is what causes my odour problem, it goes out of my body in the form of alkaline sweat, and acid skin care or gel, must neutralize the fecal odour. I can't tell you anymore. Give me some time, and I will write if all these works, or not. In the past, I thought I had candidiasis, gilbert syndrome, internal hemorrhoids, hipothyroidism and IBS. And now I don't discard also the leaky gut syndrome. I've written all that I could and I know. I've been reading a lot these days, and I think I'm close to solve this problem, but, is still a thinking. Anyone, if you think you smell like poo, fish... is always better tell it to your family, friends... after telling them, this, you will feel really relieved (that was my cause). Sometimes life is hard, I have a friend who only take one shower a week, and does exercise, work... and never never smells.
OMG i swear i am just tired of this problem. When i sit down my butt sweat after 2 minutes then the smell comes out of no where. Even when i am walking. WTF?! It is only at school [ at home it may sweat but not smell. My family told me many times i don't smell. It is getting worse that i have to use PADS [for females] and put them around my anus but it helps with the sweating. It is like my anal is all the way open and the sweat causes the smell to come. I sweat from mu anus before but no smell. I went to the doctor and he thought it was constipation [ he gave me metacil something like that] but that didn't help. Then i thought it was an anal yeast infection. I tried NIZORAL CREAM and that didn't work.

Here are thing i Tried but still didn't work

- Wet wipes [ or baby wipes]
- PerspireX for sweating but didn't work.
-Eating Yogurt alot
- I take shower everyday btw
- I wipe really good that i see nothing on the toilet paper in the end.
-baby powder

Nothing works. I can't even ask the girl i like out on a date. Everyone laughs in glass, most hold there nose. It is ruining my life. The doctors don't know anything. Like ur a doctor  you should know my problem. he set an appointment with dermatologist for MARCH ???? WTF it's beginning of February. First day of semester and people already notice it's me. Why ME?? I need a Real CURE!!!!!!! Or i might just drop out of school . and be lonely.....**** man ! why is my butt smell like ****. I didn't poop myself so wtf!!!!!!!!! where is that motherfucking smell coming from.
Ive found that a hydro codone stops the stress about it and the sweat too. Obviously this is a problem all on its own but a hydro before work and pro biotics with healthy meals and i dont have the problem. Also Ive heard bleaching the anus will help because it gets rid of the stain around the anus but I havent rtried this?? But cleaning gently and not digging at it everytime your in the shower or toilet cuts down the redness and seems to take the mess back closer to the inside. I kno how embarrasing this is tho so a doctor would be better at fixing the problem. Áfter all it would be worth paying copay for a resolve....... Good luck.. but seriously quit digging!!!!
I still have the problem. I was wrong again, I think everything was OK, but this week again I heard comments. I'm going to visit a new MD, a specialist, because there are so many stupid and incompetent MD, that is a shame. I've always thought that my bad odur was caused by the sweat out of my anus. But now I have another clue, "anal fissure". That's why my anus sometimes itches and stings!!! And I think is chronic, partly caused by hemorrhoids. I don't have it everydy, because heals, but because of constipation or diarrhea, reappers. Promise you, besides this might seem pathetic, yesterday I took a look to my anus with a mirror, I took a photo, and took a look to google images. And now, I know for sure I have an "Anal Fissure", and this is what can cause my bad odour. Even female paintiliners didn't work for me !!! Because at least in my case, I think is not a sweat anus problem, unless I suffer TMAU. Is because the anal fissure, caused by constipation and/or diarrhea. But still I have to visit a specialist.
I forgot something. Like you, the last years. I've associated my fecal body odour with the sweat from my anus. And, I repeat, unless is TMAU, the problem is caused by an anal fissure, chronic, my case, I guess. I read that is because constipation and/or diarrhea, which can cause a narrowing of the anal canal. The solution is surgery. But in my case, I think I've located the source of the problem. Anyway, probiotics and diet helps. The two weeks before this week, I haven't heard any comment regarding to my FBO, until last Sunday, a tough day at bathroom (there was some blood in the toilet paper after cleaning, caused again by the anal fissure). Problem?? I still have it, and it heals in two three weeks.
OK, this is being like my personal diary of this problem. And I think I found the root of the problem... again, I hope this time is the right one. Well I tried a lot, and nothing helps. I think I don't have TMAU. I've never had halitosis and I never had another disgusting body odour than my FBO (that's the worst kind of odour you can have) and there's no a TMAU test in my crap Country, Spain, where MD are almost illliterate (at least with this problem, in my case). Always happens to me, when my *** sweats. Nor my close friends neither my family smells anything, but is like everybody else does. It happened to me in different countries, places, situations. Is not an hygienic problem, and is like nothing works. Last week I found out I had an anal fissure (a little one, like a skin fold). I know, or I think I know, that if my anus sweats, I'm sold!!! and I think that if a have to take a long walk is gonna be worse, and with a hot weather, a nightmare. Now I think I know why this is happening, and at least, this could be a valid explanation. In my case, I think is not a TMAU problem, not an hygienic problem, not incontinence, not mucus, not a yellow liquid from my anus, not nothing, except sweat from my anus, and no other odour from my body. Everything is caused by my anal muscles, that's why nothing works and not everytime my BO is disgusting, and not for everybody. Of course the root of the problem is an anal fissure (like pregnant women can have after giving birth), chronic or not, caused by a bowel inflammation, chronic, or that has happened for a long time. Of course diet helps, or must help. Constipation can provoke an anal fissure, but also a "difficult" diarrhea. Laxatives are not the answer, nullo is not the answer, nor chlorophyll, nor deodorant... There are two options, botox in your anal muscles, or surgery. I have an appoinment with a proctologist in June, and during this time I'm gonna try exercises to relax my anal channel and/or muscles (I don't have any other option).  If you have my same symptoms, check it out, if after a long walk in a sunny day, basides having your anus wet, you feel like a heavy sensation in that part of your body, or like is at hundred degrees celsius. If this happens to you, the problem is your anal muscles (the opposite of incontinence).
I forgot something. This problem caused me some psychological problems, like social anxiety disorder or social phobia, and perhaps, sometimes agoraphobia. I know that alprazolam or Xanax, helps a lot, is a fact. When I take those tablets, there is no sweat in that part of the body. Contrary to that I thought are not my social problems what causes my FBO, is my FBO what causes my social problems. And Xanax worked for me, because I feel relaxed and I relax my sphincter muscles (without knowing this). I don't know I've just read about diciclomine (to relax my anal muscles) and electro-stimulation of that zone, biofeedback.... but I still need time. But I'm pretty sure that the friction of my buttlocks while I'm walking plus my tight anal muscles, is what cause that sweat, or when I'm in a bad mood.... And that's why when you're relaxed at home, and/or with your friends and/or couple, that part of your body is dry. Is because you feel relaxed, and unconsciously you are relaxing that zone, and nobody smells you anything. And when you feel there's gonna be a BO problem, it happens.
It's me... again. A new improvement the last few days. By chance I found out the cause of this problem, and now 100% accurate. At least my problem is, an anal chronic fissure in my anal channel. The sweat in that area?? Is because the pressure caused in the anal channel and/or the anal fissure inside that area. The itching and swelling in that area?? Because an internal anal fissure. Why benzodiazepines work sometimes?? Because are also "relaxing muscles" solutions. Why if you're getting nervous is worse?? Cause that zone is influenced by different moods and can increase or decrease the pressure in that zone. Why constipation or diarrhea makes the situation worse?? Because increase the pressure in that zone. Why deodorants and having 1000 showers doesn't work?? Because is an internal problem, not external. What I am using now?? I'm using "rectogesic" cream. This cream relieves the pressure in that zone, and the sweat and "bad" sensations in that zone, greatly diminished. Problem is, that is a little expensive and the are some side effects. But it works, at least, something works in a couple of minutes.
OMG , i'm so dumb! Guys this is NOT SWEATING! sweat does not sweat ! sweat doesn't create odor. For example your armpits sweat but the bacteria causes the odor. Anyways it is not sweat ! you think it's sweat because it just gets wet and you're not sure. THIS problem is Anal Leakage ! or fecal incontinence! My problem started in September , when everyone said "what is the smell" .I was scared and thought it was me because my butt was wet. A lot of people sweat in that area when playing sports or going to the gym but most don't have a smell. If you have these symptoms then you have anal leakage:

-When you sit down your butt get wet.
-Awful Smell
-When you are sitting it feels like you need to poop or something and you are trying to hold it.
When you wipe your butt , it gets wet after 4-6 minutes or less.

So if you wipe , the sweat i gone! But this is not sweating guys! THIS is Anal Leakage! I am meeting a surgeon to get this cured.

You're probably leaking because of many reasons like Inflammatory Disease or Constipation or Diarrhea or maybe anal nerve muscles are damaged. So see ur doc.

In the mean time i found things that reduced the smell and wetness but not COMPLETELY ! The smell is still there and people do notice it but it's more comfortable and less leakage. This is what helped me a little.

- Have a bowel movement once a day(normal) if can't then u have
constipation that is causing the problem

- Practice to control the external anal sphincter : Tense ur anus as hard as you can for 5 seconds or longer as if you were trying to hold gas. Practice ten times a day.

- Relax and don't be stressed cuz it can cause this problem too.

-after bowel movement before wiping tense up butt for 6-10 seconds and release for 3-5 times { this will leak most the waste in you butt]

- Drink Cranberry Juice and eat Garlic daily ! Cranberry juice is really good for digestive system!

- eat Healthy like Yogurt and eat foods with high vitamins and proteins like eggs and Orange Juice has 100% vitamin C which is really good.

-Shower Daily and scrub that are gently with loofah.

-Exercise daily and or play sports.

- Don't Wipe too hard because you will damage your anus , take your time.

-Eat FRESH vegetables and FRUITS which helps too.

-Take a lot of fiber (Metamucil)

So guys i did this on Sunday and i saw improvement on next day (Monday at school) and it's Wednesday and still go better and more comfortable!
I hope i can cure this! People still do notice the smell but it has gotten better! I hope it goes away soon! Don't sit somewhere for too long! I sit in class for 75 minutes and i try to get up at least twice for whatever excuse ! LOL!

But yah , and the other thing is if you shower daily and you have that butt smell ; RElax and don't think it's always you who smells like ****! you don't smell like **** generally. I found that stress and thinking it's always you and getting embarrassed is also  another cause of this! You have a medical problem and that's why it smells so JUST  RELAX and be comfortable!

BUT until you get CURED , just ignore people that's what i try to do! If people or your friends are nice and REAL friends then they won't make fun of you! I hope this helped ! I swear i thought it was sweat at first but noo no no it was leakage . I will update when i meet my surgeon in April ! Later

It is so humiliating and shameful. Suicide has been on my mind frequently. I am back at work, but it still smells bad. People say they can smell it, but not as often as I can. I am making an appt. with a naturopath this week. I am at the end of my rope with limited money and means to cure this!
About 2 years ago- out of the blue- I inexplicably developed this flesh decaying odor problem.  At my wits end and out of experiments and doctors ideas to clear it up-  I solved my horrible problem by accident when my dermatologist gave me a prescription for Doxycyline to clear up my face & eye rosecea.

For the past 15 months I have experimented 3 times to confirm my observastion. If I quit taking the Doxy, the flesh-decaying odor comes back in about a week.  When I resume taking the Doxy- the odor is gone within 3 days.  

I chatted with my dermatologist yesterday about my observations. She said the Doxy is an anitbiotic that will kill many different types of bacteria in the body and I must have a gut bacteria that was making the odor.  The down side is the stench causing bacteria could become resistant to the Doxy.  (I sure hope not.  Me, my family and coworkers can't live with that stench. )

I hope this observation helps others.

I bet you are right IBSKiller0917.

It's pelvis or anus.  Also being over weight increases pressure in that area. A history of constipation can cause straining and damage over time.

http://www.stmarksfoundation.org/uploads/docs/patientinformationleaflets/SM07-05%20Anal%20%20leakage.pdf

The above link indicates this problem may be due to weak sphincter muscles which do not close tightly and therefore trap stool in the anus and allow gas leakage and stool leakage.

The above PDF gives specific exercises to help strengthen those muscles. Hope this helps...
You are not alone.  I have lost all incentive to live and live a life with absolutely no dignity.  I go to college, work part time and everywhere I go my stench follows me. People around me are offended and comment about my stench (rightly so, it is disgusting).  I also am meticulous with my hygiene.  I wash after every bowel movement, in between bowel movements, I have tried pads with cologne, everything, changing my diet, enemas.  IT WILL NOT GO AWAY.  I am SO EMBARRASSED, all the time.  I am a social recluse and have little sanity left.  I have had two operations, they both made me worse, the first one actually destroyed my outer sphincter.  I so look forward to death.  I now live alone and will never be able to have a relationship again!
I totally understand what you are going through.  I have had the same problem for at least the last 4 years, but it seems like maybe even longer.  I know it can be very depressing, but I have read about people who were cured of this.  Please don't give up.  I basically always wear headphones in public except when I am at work.  This helps a bit to block out the comments and whispers I sometimes hear, and especially the coughing.  Try not to give up.  From my research, I think it might be rectal prolapse, fistula, or internal intussusception.  In your case, maybe you could get to the a different colorectal surgeon who might be able to diagnose you and fix the problem.  If other people have beat this, you can too.
I am also a sufferer of this problem for over the past 5 years and it was never easy for me.

If I go back to see how it started, actually, I have no one but myself  to blame for all this, back in yr 2007 when it started, I was suffering at that time from prolong chronic constipation, and I never cared much about what I am eating and had many other things on my mind, infact I never new that anyone can ever suffer from such sort of a problem. One morning, I starting smelling like SH** sitting in the office and reaction of people around me confirmed it, and this never stopped till now, although improved a bit.

Like all of you I had been to many doctors, and discussed the mucus secretion and bad odor problem, it was one who said it could be weak sphincter problem, the rest suggested that since I have never had any stain on my inner/underwear, that's why its not sphincter weakness. I am not sure about both these opinions, there can be a possibility that my sphincters are weak, as when I was having severe constipation 5 years ago, I had to travel to some place far away every morning, so I had to bear the pressure on my sphincter while travelling every morning, and this happened for months, which might have caused the weakness OR to be specific, internal sphincter weakness/ loose tone.

I was suggested to do sphincter strengthening exercises, and I did it for sometime, but unfortunately these exercises are not for those with weak internal sphincter, people with weak anal resting tone might not benefit much from it, those internal anal sphincter are involuntary muscles i.e. you don't have control over them, they are supposed to stay closed by themselves, you cannot exercise the internal sphincters. Its the squeezing muscles (external sphincter ) that you can improve by exercise.

Now the mucus discharge has reduced by 90 %. But the odor problem is not totally gone. especially when I feel the urge to go to the toilet then this fecal odor is also accompanied with the urge. i.e. when ever there is stool in the rectum the odor is there, which means that the anus is not totally shut, or I may say tightly shut. This keeps suggesting there is something wrong with the mechanisms of how sphincter relaxes and contracts etc etc.

One of the colonoscopy rectal biopsy report showed I have non specific colitis, which means inflammation in the rectum, but it was not much as the physician didn't notice it much visually, it was diagnosed under the microscope.

I don't know whether the sphincter weakness is due to inflammation on or near the sphincter areas. I didn't find any clue on the internet about it, its all usual stuff I have been reading over the years..............

Sometimes I don't believe medical science is so clue less about such problems. if the population of this world is 6 billion means there are 6 billion *****/anus around,.. why isn't there a proper mechanism in place to deal with such problems.  

Mucus secretion is also caused by some inflammation in the intestines/colon/rectum, Can the weakness of internal anal sphincter (weak resting tone) be due to inflammation in the rectum???? Can anyone comment on it?? I know an inflamed rectum looses it elasticity for storing stool but leaking smell from stool??, I duno ..

Suffering from similar symptoms for years. Many doctors said to me i was crazy after tons of medical test went out negative, until i did an xray defecography. I have internal rectal prolapse and going through surgery for that in the next weeks. Good luck to all.
If anyone comes up with a good success story please share I've been suffering with this for about 10 years, very stressful events terrible diet, too much sugar, heavy drinking have all played there part, I honestly think my problem is candida as I can see white in my stools, my rectum is itchy an I suffer with chronic sinusitis.
GP diagnosed me with IBS years ago but NO ONE with IBS has this excruciatingly embarrassing problem. I have severe constipation so usually use laxatives and suppositories but the smell afterwards is awful I have to use baby wipes and anti bac gel on my anus which you can imagine to be quite painful I then have to put tissue in between my anus and underwear to create a barrier but there's still a feces smell, its not always convenient to have a shower straight after but sometimes even that doesn't work.
I'm a laughing stock in my area people think I'm disgusting I've lost jobs relationships I'm now a single mother and more than anything in the world I don't want my daughter to be ashamed of me. I want to study as a nurse but can't get too close to people I'm literally crying as I write this. I've tried restrictive dietsim in the process of seeking help from gp even though their terrible at my clinic. I take THORNE sf77 capsules, apple cider vinegar tablets and probiotics nothing works. I would save an pay for anything for a cure so I can live my life.
I have been suffering for about 6 months now. I have an odor coming from my anus. I am 42. This issue just suddenly happened. I have no idea how. I've been going to a GI, but he cant find anything. I am going to try different things, and will keep posting my progress (or lack there of). Right now, I'm trying a glass of metamucil/day and a 2-3 glasses of apple cider vinager a day. Oh, and praying.
well, its been about a month since my last post. I'm still experiencing the odor issue. I'm thinking it might be linked to what i eat. 2 weeks ago i did a 3-day detox, where all i had were fruit and veggie smoothies. By the third day, the odor was gone. however, after that third day, I started eating normally again; ie meats, dairy, sweets, and the odor came back almost immediately. I cant go back to nothing to but veggies smoothies though. I live to eat. I'm still taking the metamucil and my 'movements' are often and complete. I'm also still drinking the apple cider vinegar. I just keep hoping one day i'll wake up and the odor is gone. I work in 'cube city' and i hate it whenever anyone comes to my cube.
I'm taking probiotics, but they are pretty weak. So, I'm going to try Culturelle. I'll be back and let you know my status.
I suffered from a fishy smell coming from my anus. Heard the whispers saw the faces frown & people cover their noses. This went on for about 7 years. Finally read a post where someone did a detox & saw yeast in their stool & their problem was solved. I did research & found black walnut hull & wormwood. Both are good for candida (yeast), parasites & toxins. I used them & my problem is solved no more body odor. The odor is due to yeast over growth in our bodies & parasites. I also took liquid bentonite & psyllium husk to bind the toxins & dead parasites to prevent die off symptoms. Do a google search for the black walnut hull, wormwood, liquid bentonite & psyllium husk. You should be able to find them all in your local health food store or you can order online from a herbal supplier. I ordered the cut & sifted black walnut hull & wormwood in bulk form. I brewed it & drank it as a tea.
Thanks. I'm going to take your advice. Just a couple of questions; I'm taking Metamucil which contains psyllium husk. Is that good enough or do I need to take the actual stuff? Also, how long did you have to take this stuff before you noticed the difference? Do you take evrything once a day? All together? Or will these questions be answered once i get everything?
It's heart breaking to see so many people suffering with this issue. I've had a fecal smell wafting around me for nearly fifteen years now. Two pilonidal sinus operations. One fistula operation. The smell remains. The doctors and professors say that I'll have to live with it as they can't do any more. I've lost all my friends. Can't blame them really. This is the first time I've been to this site and its encouraging to know there may be other things I can try. Psychologically, it's a killer. I drive a dustcart out of choice because I thought the smell of rubbish may hide my stench. I stand downwind of people I meet. I cleanse till I'm sore. If I could stand under a shower till rapture, I'd be happy.
I've been researching for the past hour and come across something interesting. I don't know if it's been mentioned on the forum before or if anyone knows more. I found it here http://www.humanclinicals.org/champex/
yeah, this issue completely *****. i will check out the website you listed. i'll keep trying things and posting the results. i have been drinking a couple of teaspoons of Braggs Aplle Cider Vinegar, the smell is still with me. however, its not as bad on some days, as others. not sure why. i keep track of everything i eat, but have been to find a pattern; some days are just better than others.
Sorry to hear you're suffering as well. I've buried my head for too long now. I've been locked on the net for what seems like days now looking for my silver bullet. I was naive to pretend that doctors would eliminate it one day. I've ordered some branded champex from a UK supplier although I believe boots have started to sell the champignon extract in a 5 day starter body cleanse package. It's only stage one of my quest for the holy trail. If this works, and I pray it does, I don't think I can afford to stay on it as the doses required could mean £30 will burn every two weeks. I'll keep the forum posted. I know this sounds wrong,but it's nice to know I'm not the only one.
so, did it work for you? if so, will you tell me exactly what you did? i've just been trying to change up my diet. nothing is consistent, though. i may have one or two good days, then four or five bad days. i do take fiber daily. and try to drink fruit and veggie smoothies. i dont know if there is any way to clear this up...

Health Information - Med Help
Forums
Tools
Information
My MedHelp (1)
Logout
Gastroenterology Community Same s#!t different day!
Post a Question
By luvukendog | 5 minutes
I've had this problem for 15+ years now and it's so upsetting to me that I never go anywhere anymore. I even have a very hard time going to the Dr anymore! I have schizophrenia so every time I go to the Dr they just tell me it's all in my head and I need to see my psychiatrist! My friends and family tell me the same thing. I have lost all of my friends and my parents are my only family that still talks to me. I am so tired of living like this that I contemplate suicide almost every day but I doubt I will follow thru with it because I'm too afraid to go to hell even tho I believe I'm already in hell because I suffer every day with this and I'm so lonely. I wish I could just sleep my life away till I die. My gastroenterologist has just prescribed hydrocortisone suppositories for me but of course my insurance won't pay for them and they cost more than $200 so I can't afford them. Has anyone else tried hydrocortisone and if so have you had any luck getting rid of this awful plague we all have?

HI I too suffer from this condition ...I've had it for about 18 years now, one of the most distressing conditions anybody can ever suffer from & I feel for you all. people coughing around you from what seems like your miles away from them the nose scratchers . doctors just telling you its IBS time after time you visit them , then trying to convince you its all in your head when you brave up to tell them. when you shower/bath makes the condition worse. the sweating from your anal /the nightsweats not forgetting the uncontrollable flatulence. this is no way for anybody to live , it's so heartbreaking and a a waste of a life.

The past 18 years I've searched for herbal remedies to cure this problem . with no luck until about 2mths ago....so I like to share this with all you guys hoping i can really help someone out there

Please note this is not a cure but it'll take away all the nasty smell symptoms you fear .....

I discovered herbal tablet called Chlorophyll 100mg ...this will detox you whole body with 24/ hours the smells will be gone. no more nose scatchers the coughers reduced
.
PLEASE BEWARE !!!  do not overdose on these tablet because the opposite effect can happen leading to really bad flatulence. be careful with the fruit & veg when consuming these too. I'm still learning from this coz still in the early stage trying to find a balance. avoid taking these tablets around a fruit & veg meals look for the most furthest place possible to consume. if the effects of tablet start to cause unpleasant symptoms miss a dose and restart the following day or even two .....warning only attempt 1 tablet a day at the most.

If you get the correct balance believe me you'll walk around feeling like a new person. as the weeks go on i'm seeing big improvements

I really hope this helps most of you suffers here....please share your experience with what dosage and what best works for you.

I too have recently noticed a similar issue, this being an acrid odour.
My hygiene is good, I'm regular, but of late this odour is worrying
I should also point out that I'm 53, very fit and active.
This is new and concerning. Any advice?
Hi there, Here is what I did: 1 year ago, I went on the SCD diet, strict adherence was followed for 9 months, all symptoms except for one went away after 9 months, there was only one quite major issue that was left with (fecal odor), I tried everything that all people here had mentioned, nothing worked. I am a master at making Sauerkraut and other fermented food like Kvass since I started making these at the start of my SCD protocol (lot of information out there on how to make fermented food on the web, which is where I got all my knowledge). I knew that the fermented foods played a major part of my ultimate recovery, also had an idea of the fact that these probiotics were working from the top to the bottom (since we all eat these), I thought that if fermented foods can be ingested through the mouth, then why not through the rectum? This way the probiotics would be working from both ends and my remaining symptom was related to the rectal area. I started reading about administering probiotics through the anus and decided to give it a try, and it really worked, please consult your doctor or an expert in administering enemas and take the plunge, I am certain that a few treatments will do the trick, I am a naturalist therefore my enema consisted of Sauerkraut liquid at first and then Sauerkraut juice (where I pulsed actual Sauerkraut and its juices in a liquidiser making sure that I  only used short burts to keep the liquid from heating up (this protects the sensitive bacteria from being destroyed by the heat generated from continuous processing in the blender). I am 100% symptom free and am still following the SCD diet religiously.   The reason for my ailment (IBS), was definitely my eating habits and stress (I thinks that the food I ate was responsible 90% of the time), I only had 4 hours of sleep per day for over 5 years and a lot of stress, always ate processed food with minimal fibre for the whole time,  my digestive health was a mess at the end of this, after a years worth of SCD and details explained above I have my life back, I still do not get to sleep for 8 hours a day, but I make sure I get at least 6 hours of quality sleep each day. Thanks to the SCD diet (Elaine Gottschall’s book and the related website was indispensable for guidance and inspiration) I have got my life back. This is not and advertisement, you can gain all the knowledge in the book free of charge on the website and other related sites, I love books so I bought it.  I know how EMBARRASSING it is to smell like a dead fish all the time, I was a miserable wreck. I know the reasons for my suffering, never will I eat fast food, or any processed food for the rest of my life, after being on the SCD diet for a year; I am appalled at the sight of a fast-food restaurant or when seeing all the processed foods in supermarket shelves these days. I feel a million dollars, my weight is in check, have enormous amounts of energy and look 10 years younger to my former self, this was all due to the SCD diet and a lot of dedication.  All the best with your recovery!
I feel so bad for you all! Reading your posts made me feel sad. I had a hemmrhoidectomy a few years back and started to have a weird smell as well. My doctor told me to fill a cotton ball full of hydrogen peroxide and squeeze it up the anus. It has worked for me. You could also try putting anti-biotic ointment, anti-itch ointment up there as well.
Your doctor may can also prescribe other medication creams as well. If your doctor can't help you, keep searching for one who can. I would try a Colorectal doctor over a GI.
Much love and luck to all of you suffering from this!
PS: It is probably an infection issue.
I just thought of another cause: if you are mostly having hard stools, then it could be causing fissures, resulting in an infection...which could cause the smell to not go away. Make sure you are keeping your stools soft to avoid fissures.
I read somewhere that these odors from the anus could be coming from parasites. There's something to check. Good luck guys.
I am 23 years old. I am a Computer Science Graduate. I am a professional and expert Programmer. I got the 1st ranks for achieving highest scores among all university Computer Science graduates. I was gong to invent a programming language but it happened something different. At the very end of the final semester I felt like I was unable to control the gas. After a few months It started the problem of bowel incontinence too. I was thinking like if the sphincter were loose and insensitive. I saw a Gestroentrologist. He told me that the tone of the sphincter was normal. Colonoscopy test was normal. The abdominal ultrasound's results were also normal. He gave me some medicine that all improves digestion. 15 days before this writing it started an pungent smell from the anus even when the anus is empty. I don't know what to do. I cannot go out of my home. I cannot meet friends, relative and others. Now I arrived at a stage where I don't want to be alive anymore. I pray for you all. I think life with such problems is useless. May Allah give you all the best health than ever before.
Most probably true....I agree with that comment. It also could be some sort of nerve injuries to the pelvic and bowel ...causing them to malfunction.
Most probably true....I agree with this comment. It also could be some sort of nerve injuries to the pelvic and bowel ...causing them to malfunction.
See the above comments try checking for any prolapses in pelvic. Also check that you don't have any infection in lymphatic system...doctors are not good with this one - but you can check alternative therapies /massages to see if they can clear your lymph system.
Yes probably true...one good cause of it.
12 years? are you still there. It been going on with me for 10 plus years so I feel everybody pain here but it's crazy nobody can figure out a solution to this problem
*****I HAVE A SOLUTION for directly eliminating the smell. One word........VINEGAR! Just plain white vinegar. I haven't even tried the apple cider variety.

I have had this too. Soaping up 3 times. Get out of the shower, dry myself.......and the part of the towel that dryed me down there....smells! And no there is no leaking, it feels dry. So WTF??? It's like a strong musky oily smell (not crap). Anyways, just rub some vinegar there, and a little ways inside, right after you bathe. No it doesn't sting, unless you're sore from scratching a lot. And just do it throughout the day, if you need to. And if super bad, no problem.........get some of those round small thin cotton pads (makeup remover pads?), soak them in vinegar, then tuck one into your buttcrack, and leave it there. It should stay. Or just take 2 squares of TP, fold it twice, add some vinegar.....and use that instead of those round pads. AND......put some in a ziplock....brrrrring them with you to work. And simply just discard/replace throughout the day! I'll betcha you'll only need to do that ONCE in a day! There you go! AND, the most important thing.......SAY YOUR PRAYERS! Jesus can heal you of ANYTHING. And pay attention to the dreams he gives you. Cheers! :-)
Read my comment at the bottom :-)
99% success J
1.shave your anal area,and wash them every day with head&shoulders classic shampo.
2.run 30 min 2_3 times per week.
3.Drink 0.5 L water every morning and 2>3 L per day.
4.Drink natural lemon juice(squeeze lemon),orange daytime,and sometimes camomil tea in afternoon.
5.Eat veg,like cocumber,carotte etc,and boiled food
6.Protect your kidney,drink tea against kidney stone
                               ATENTION
7.Don/t eat chocolatte,biscuits and too much sweets.
8.Don/t eat Spiceys and too much salt food
  not often fried food
9.Pray and relax your mind.
Write me if you solve this problem (***@****) thank you
99% success J
2.run 30 min 2_3 times per week.
                               ATENTION
  not often fried food
9.Pray and relax your mind.
99% success J
2.run 30 min 2_3 times per week.
                               ATENTION
  not often fried food
9.Pray and relax your mind.
Hi..i understand exactly what you mean. I'm also a victim of that,yet its been going for a long time too. And I've seen that no one understands what it is,so now I've been doing so.e experiment and I'm not that far from getting the thing that could eliminate the smells or suspend them completely for all your office hours/ social hours. I will keep you updated when I am through...
I just having same issues.  Noticed certain preservatives such as methylchlorothianolone found in everyday used items such as lotions, soaps, shampoo, Toilet Paper and Wipes will cause skin irritations.  Once I stayed clear of these items and try to eliminate regularly and empty completely I do not have the odor.  But if you have issues of completely eliminating bowels the odor will be there.  Since 2007 I had this issue and just found what works last year.  Stay away from food that will cause you not to be able to empty out fully.  Everyone's digestive system is different.  I also stay away from teas, cranberries and prunes...be mindful of too many herbs...

Hope this helps
I have the same problem except mine aggrevates after bowel movements and eliminates air bacteria that makes people ill. The best i can do is shower more often i tried all the prior advice. And drying just right is important and the cleanest and right clothes.
Dear will you dont make people sneeze cough or get diarrea. So keep doin your things . my problem is one were people get sick its crazy doctors still say its notin so no one at home backs you up