Gastroenterology Community
Oily stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Oily stool

Hi.  I am a 40 year old male and for the last week or so, my stool has consistently had oil floating in it.  Also, my stool has been very small, mushy, very foul smelling, and almost always floats on top of the water.  In the past (2 years ago), I was diagnosed with Diverticulosis and was told to eat more fiber, which I have done.  I have also noticed a slight tickling feeling around my anus from time to time, especially after eating dinner.  Unfortunately, I lost my job and have no insurance or money to see a doctor.

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Howard
You may want to consider the possiblity of celiac disease - food intolerance to wheat, rye, barley and sometimes oats. It's an autoimmune disease that many adults 'pops-up' apparently suddenly, but it's actually been there since birth. You may want to query your immediate family about others having symptoms such as yours.
Here's some information that may help you: http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/3011/Stools---floating

Did this start to happen after you ate something specific? If so, you may want to avoid that food in the future.
Thanks for your reply.

It's been happening no matter what I eat for the last week or 10 days.  From the link you sent, malabsorption seems to fit best.  I'm generally pretty gassy, and haven't noticed any increase.  I've had similar symptoms to what I've been seeing lately and they tend to go away, but this recent bout has lasted longer, which has me concerned.
I think it can last for a few days at least. I was wondering if there was something oily that you ate that triggered it, like maybe chili or something with an oil that your digestive system can't absorb.
@sk123 - I don't think it's anything I ate because I've been eating the same things I usually eat without the same symptoms.

@CalGal - I think you may be onto something.  I was suspected the same thing due to some of my symptoms, but sometimes I will eat things like Triscuits or rye bread, with no symptoms.  My grandmother had pancreatic cancer and many of my symptoms are similar to those of pancreatitis, so I'm going to see a doctor soon, even if I have to borrow money from someone to do it.

Thanks for both of your help.