Gastroenterology Community
One symtom: chronic loose stools

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

One symtom: chronic loose stools

This is a neat site, especially this time of year, the flu season.  I don't want to go anywhere near a doctor's office till it's over.
I have been developing looser and looser stools for at least ten years, maybe more.  I've had a colonoscopy, probably three stool tests over the years, and I'm off gluten, soy, dairy products, eggs, all the things I showed even low intolerance to.
I'm sixty-nine and am in good shape otherwise.
I do take levothyroxine, 150 mcg. and am wondering if it could be the cause.  I also use bioidentical hormones, estrogen and progesterone in a small amount, only two lines on the applicator instead of five.  I take no pharmaceutical drugs.
I started Synthroid eighteen years ago, but somewhere along the way switched to Armour which made me very sick, then ended up with Levothyroxine.
The loose stools started before the Levothyroxine, but are worse now, sometimes small in circumference but unusually long.
I relieve myself two to three times a day without urgency....unless I've eaten something that makes matters worse.  When that happens, I'm usually somewhat nauseous and gassy and burpy.  It's a drag!
I've consulted several doctors over the years.  The one who did the colonoscopy couldn't find anything wrong.  He did say he thought it's something that some women get mid-way through life, but he didn't elaborate.  I called his office a few days later to get a name for the condition he mentioned.   His assistant asked him and relayed the message back to me that the doctor couldn't remember what it is.  He retired not long after.:-)
Another doctor ordered a stool sample which was negative.  He asked his assistant to call me with the report and to say he didn't know what my problem is.  At least he was honest.
I'd be interested to know just how I might narrow this down to a few of the 65 or so digestive disorders recognized.

Thank you for your time

Have you considered trying some probiotics to see if they might be of help  to regulate your system?
Thanks, CalGal,

It's a good idea.  I had a consultation with a Dr. Said, naturopath, who is the one who got me off gluten, dairy, etc.  That really helped my energy level and I have not been sick with a virus since then, last July, a record for me.  I understand 70% of our immune system is in our intestinal tract so I'm thinking this may explain my new found immunity.

But, to answer your question, he did send me  probiotics which I took.  I recently bought more and feel they are good for me, but so far none of these measures has changed my bms.

Somewhere on this site someone reminded us that we should eat slowly, chewing our food until it is mixed well with saliva because that is a major part of the digestion process.  I had to stop eating entirely two days ago, then started eating just plain brown  rice last night.  Today, I'm feeling better and I went ahead and had some granola, but first I took some "Specturm" enzymes.  I found them at our co-op and they do seem to help, that is I don't feel nauseous today with eating slowly and taking enzymes.
But, the looseness is still a big mystery.  I've looked at the descriptions of irritable bowel syndrome and they include other symptoms which I usually don't have.  Still, I guess it could be that.

Thanks for reminding me to take my probiotics!

Have you tried adding some fiber to try to produce a firmer stool? Many who have issues with frequent/loose stools,  such as after having portions of the large intestine or the whole thing removed, find they can control the problem with the addition of fiber - either via food intake or supplemental fiber.

If you check some of Morecambe's posts, you'll find some good suggestions along those lines.