Gastroenterology Community
PBC Enlarge liver short of breath

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

PBC Enlarge liver short of breath

I have PBC and i had a Splenectomy and now it seems under sonogram that my liver has spread to my right side where my spleen was. How large can a liver get before it explodes? On the shortness of breath can the Enlarged Liver cause this issue? Thank you for all your Help on this issue!
I just need to know
Have you asked your doc whether your liver has expanded, or are you making the assumption based on what you saw on a scan? The liver is quite big normally and extends quite aways over toward the left-hand side of the body. So you need to find out whether there is actual enlargement in that area or not.

If any organ that lies under the diaphragm enlarges and takes up more space in the abdominal cavity, that pressure has to go somwhere and it usually presses upward toward the diaphragm. This can cause a person to feel like they can't take a deep breath. But again, you need to ask your doc the cause of your feeling short of breath.
Yes th doctor said it was very enlarged but they never say to much! I guess it is just a part of PBC. But thanks for all you healp on this matter!