Gastroenterology Community
PROBLEMS AFTER COLONOSCOPY

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

PROBLEMS AFTER COLONOSCOPY

I had a colonoscopy two days ago, and I am experiencing severe back pain, lower quandrant left side. It started on right side and moved to left side. I have taken two steroid enemas so far, but haven't had a bowel movement. nHave evacuated a lot of blood and mucous. I am taking 3 asocol tablets three times a day.  I can handle the pain etc. but i am worring that there might be something else wrong.  I cannot contackt my doctor as this is  the wekend, and am considering going to ther ER room, but feel stupid if this is normal re3action after a colo0noscopy.  Can anyone out thedre help me, or have had similar problems.  Thanks so much for your response.
Tags: colonoscopy, Back pain, help
  • Please help (1 replies):
    Hi, I have been in sever pain for about a year now. I am...[more]
U should go to the ER to ensure there is no perforation, which requires surgery. They are rare and its probably not that but it can happen, best to be safe and see what the emerg doctor says. good luck
Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for the advice.  I went to the ER with my problem as you suggested.  I had a low grade fever, they took uririe and blood samples. I told them i felt like there might be a blockiage also, so they took x-rays of my stomach and back.

My blood and urikne samples showed a high wbc (Iindicative of an infectio9n)

The X-ray showed no problems. A culture from the urine indicated a urinary tract infection.  They put me on anti-biotics, cranberry juice and discharged me. I was in the ER room for almost 4 hrs.

I feel much better now, and the pain has susbsided a lotl

Thank you so much, maybe you should be a doctor!!!
my sister had colonscopy bag last week,,,and today she is in rehab facility, found out from wound care therapist? that her stool in the bag is too loose. and that sister would need to take immodium twice a day. and also that this is dangerous for sodium. since she had surgery last tuesday, how long before the stool becomes firm. and what is normal or is there a normal?
thank you,
concerned sister