Gastroenterology Community
Pain & gas for 3 weeks

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pain & gas for 3 weeks

Hi, I am a 30 yr-old male suffering from intermittant severe lower abdominal pain for about 3 weeks now.  I am lactose intolerant, and the symptoms of this are exactly the same as when I eat a dairy product -- except that now it's happening no matter what I eat.  It's hard to tell, but I think the pain usually starts several hours after eating.  I feel a flush of pain in my gut, below or around the right side of my belly button, that makes me want to curl up in pain.  My face flushes red and I sweat from the pain.  I find myself holding and rubbing my stomach like a pregnant woman, though it doesn't seem to help.  I feel bloated, and I go to the bathroom and have a lot of gas and loose stools, sometimes with pale spots on them.  Sometimes I sit on the toilet but nothing happens and I get no relief.  The pain eventually fades, usually after about an hour.  I can hear a lot of boiling and gurgling noises in my belly, usually shortly after the pain has faded.

I am slim and fit, nonsmoker, casual drinker, and usually able to eat some dairy with a Lactaid pill.  My only other medical history is penicilin allergy and chronic insomnia.  I dismissed this pain at first, assuming it was a little too much dairy or something.  When it persisted, I assumed it was some kind of stomach bug or fatty food or something.  Now it's gone on for 3 weeks, hitting me maybe 3 or 4 times a day, and I've been really careful about what I eat, trying to make it stop.  No dairy, no fat, no grease, and lots of water... and it's still killing me!  Help, please!