Gastroenterology Community
Pain/Bloating/Heaviness- Upper-Left Abdomen

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Ok so I have this pain in my upper left abdomen, just below the ribs in the front…  It started a couple days ago.  The only things that happened different that day was that (sorry about this…) intercourse was in the “all fours” position, but vaginal.  Don’t know if shaking things around while facing down on all fours can mess things up….    

Also, I ate some chicken wings and pasta, followed by a very unhealthy amount of pistachio ice-cream.  We’re talking like half the carton, lol (yeah, I know, I won‘t do it again, I promise).  I don’t normally eat ice-cream (or dairy in general) more than a few times a year.  

About half an hour after the ice cream, I was sitting at the table with my laptop…  I leaned to the left, and felt this bloated, stabbing sharp pain in the upper left side of my abdomen!  Every time I moved to the left, I would feel it.  

Over the next 2 days, I realized that I felt a bit constipated, and now I still have that sharp twinge in the upper left side, but also a very heavy, sore feeling inside the mid abdomen.  Still feel bloated too.  If I lay or sit still, I feel little or nothing.  But if I move, bend, twist my mid section, or walk around-- owwww.  

Kinda feels like a brick and some of those twisty balloons sitting inside me.  Whenever gas passes through, or small stools (haven’t had a normal sized one yet), it REALLY hurts.  Like a cramp as it passes down the final left side of the colon.  I’ve been drinking way more water trying to hydrate my body better.  I took some Metamucil, and the next day, some benefiber-like irregularity poweder from my neighbor, mixed in water and drank.  

Very little results…

Anything else I can try?  Could it be a big blockage, and small stools/gas moving by it it?  Constipation?  Can ice-cream cause that?
I'm no doctor but have experience some extreme constipation this year.  It happens to me once every 2 years or so, usually after bad dietary choices.  I'm usually healthy but indulge sometimes.  

I took Miralax but it provided no relief.  Doctor do not like Ex-Lax b/c it's a stimulant laxitive and actually causes the intestinal muscles to contract.  This can be habit forming and may create some long-term problems.  

What finally did it for me was 2 simultaneous doses of Magnesium Citrate (MC).  I tried single doses before getting this extreme.  This stuff brings water into the intestines so follow the directions.  Slam the MC and at least an 8 oz glass of water right after.  You should see results in 6 hours or less.  I would say be available to make it to the bathroom with little delay after about 4 hours.  IE, don't take right before bed or a long road trip.  

One warning though . . . no, this stuff is really rather benign healthwise, but it tastes awful.  Like drinking saltwater really.  It comes in a 10 oz. glass bottle and it's next to all the other laxitives in the pharmacy.  

Godspeed,
Carl
Ok, I'll write that name down and try it, thanks.  I agree about the exlax...  I don't like to use it either, kind of rough on my intestines, for some reason.  I've always rpefered the more "gentle" menthods, like veggies, fruit, water, benefiber, metemucil...  So if MC is nicer to the insides than Exlax, I'll give it a shot.
I'm ok now, I used your idea and it worked!  All is well.  Thanks.  Feel totally normal again now :)