Gastroenterology Community
Pain In Upper Neck/Under Chin

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pain In Upper Neck/Under Chin

I'm 27 years old.  I have alopecia and no other conditions.  I had blood work down in August and all came back ok. I am on no medications.  I was also diagnosed with panic disorder about 6 years ago but do not receive any treatment for it.  I do not drink any alcohol at all and I smoke a little less than a pack per day.  During my last check up in August, my doctor said everything (including my chest) and blood work were perfect.  I have no idea what kind of blood work he did but I know he did a thyroid test because with my panic disorder he always does that.

2 weeks before Thanksgiving I have a really bad infection in my mouth.  The dentist said that I had a few bad teeth and gave me Amoxicillin (500 MG 3 X per day) to kill it.  I went back 3 weeks later to get molds taken for the new teeth he has to put in to replace the bad ones.  The pain in my teeth went away about 5 days after starting the meds.

A few days after Thanksgiving, I came down with a bad cough.  The cough was dry and constant.  Almost every time I breath I was coughing.  I had a runny nose, sneezing, and I had assumed it was just a cold.  The cough finally went away just before Christmas.  The day after Christmas I came down with a very sore throat.  I looked a few times with a flashlight and never saw anything abnormal so I left it alone.

Today my sore throat finally went away.  About an hour ago I laid down for bed and decided to read for a little while.  I was laying flat on my pillow and was holding the book up on my chest.  I yawned and felt a serious pain right under my chin in the upper neck area.  Now it is painful to the touch and hurts under my tongue and in the front of my neck.  It also hurts under my tongue when I swallow but not like a strep throat/sore throat pain.

My adams apple area feels normal and my glands are not swollen at all.  Ears are fine and there are no other symptoms.

Right away I was thinking I pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve...but as i said above, I have panic disorder so of course, I think I'm dying.
hi, in my personal opinion, i relate most panic attacks to acid reflux. with respect to the pain under your chin, i think its temporary.
I would address this with your dentist, but it may be from having the impressions made.  But, I would call the dentist.  Panic attacks occur when our brain senses the "fight or flight" signal when it's not needed, and pours adrenaline throughout our bodies.  Since we are not in this type of situation our bodies don't know what to do with all this adrenaline and a panic attack occurs.  Staying calm but busy during this is the best way to handle it.  Keep in mind that you're okay, not dying, your body is just reacting to this rush of adrenaline.  So by doing something physical we give this adrenaline something to do, and will feel better. It's real, but we won't die from a panic attack.