Gastroenterology Community
Pain after Endoscopy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pain after Endoscopy

I had an endoscopy done about 5 hours ago.

They did not put me under. They had me gargle and swallow some medicine before starting the procedure.

The procedure was extremely uncomfortable and I fought back during the procedure.

I was diagnosed with a moderate to large hiatal hernia, esophagial reflux, and fundal erosion.

Following the procedure, I am now experiencing center mast discomfort when I breathe in. I am assuming this is a result of the procedure / fighting back during the procedure.

Is this a common side affect 5 hours after an endoscopy? How long should I expect these symptoms to last? Any advice on how to handle these symptoms?

The discomfort that I am experiencing is primarily in my throat.

Also, the doctor noted that I wretched an awfully lot during the procedure.
I think your having some irritation from the procedure.  Call your GI and ask if there is anything you can do for this.
My GI is being extremely unhelpful after the endoscopy.

The pain I am feeling is below my adams apple / above my collar bone, on the left side of my throat. I am assuming this is where the tube was laying as I swallowed it...

It's just a normal scratchy throat most of the time, but when I deep cough / burp, it feels much different (below my adam's apple / above my collar bone - left side).

Does this sound normal? Or is it possible that something was damaged during this procedure?
It has now been 30 hours since my procedure and I still have pain in my neck / throat.

This was the first endoscopy that I've ever had. I was told that this is a minor and routing procedure that I would not feel or have lasting effects from. I have found this NOT to be the case.

I don't know how the endoscope works, but I am assuming since I was moving on the table (trying to tell the doctor that I was choking on my vomit) that I may have damage inside my esophagus or stomach from the tube moving or scraping.

I have a follow up appointment with a general doctor tomorrow p.m. I would like to know whether or not these are concerns before arriving there so I can discuss them accordingly.

My GI doc has been USELESS since the procedure.

The symptoms that I am experiencing are:
1. Scratchy throat - this was expected.

2. Pain / loose feeling on left side of throat when coughing / burping. This is below the adam's apple / above the collarbone.

2. Discomfort just below my sternum when laying on my left side.

Are the symptoms I'm describing serious?

What do I need to keep my eyes open for?
I have successfully eaten 4 meals since the procedure with mild irritation. No vomiting or nausea as of yet. There was alot of burping last night.
Around 40 hours after the procedure, I have begun experiencing abdominal discomfort regardless of my position.

I have a followup scheduled with my doctor in 12 hours.
i had an egd done at 9am this morn (3 hours ago). arrived home and ate lunch. after lunch my stomach hurt total belly ache. so i figured i ate to much and chilled out on the couch for a bit and then decided to take a nap... ache continued to come and go. stopped for a while then started up again before and after i ate supper. im wondering if i just over did it and its normal for these symptoms or if its something serious. i read in the discharge papers that if any stomach pain to seek medical attention.... i have no fever or any of the other symptoms but i worry. i hate to sit in er but will if need be ya know...... just hate to go there and they look at u and tell ya ur nuts....
I know the feeling. I had an EGD done this morning around 10:00. It's now 8:05 PM and I feel like I have a cold. I hated that feeling and I could not relax while the tube was in my throat. I also fought it. Had terrible gag reflecting and think that's why my throat is soo sore. I will admit (to me) it was not painless, and the twilight sleep did nothing for my comfort. I was told I'd wake up and it'd be over. Not true. I felt and saw the whole thing..