Gastroenterology Community
Pain after Nissen Fundoplication

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pain after Nissen Fundoplication

I had the Lap Nissen done in Sept. of 2006 and it seemed to work very well except I had a lot of gas.  I think this is called exessive emptying.  I could not burp but that never bothered me at all.  They did what is called a complete wrap.
About 6 weeks ago, I started to get a lot of gas and always felt like I had to go to the bathroom.  Then about 2 weeks ago, I started to feel some pain in the esophageal region and the now it's worse and I can feel it in the chest.  Yesterday I had an upper GI and the surgeon said it may have slipped.  He said to wait a week and if it is not better to get a barium swallow.  Apparently, the barium swallow can determine more correctly what is wrong.  I have some questions:
(1)   It is not good to have all of this pain.  Has anyone had a redo and what was the outcome?
(2)  Does this have to be redone by a very experienced surgeon or would my original surgeon be the one to do it?
I would appreciate all comments

thank you
Sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. I know first hand about them. Ihave had 3 Nissen Fundolplications and each time it seems to get worse and harder for the surgeons to perform due to scar tissue, It is important to get those test. I had my 2nd nissen in jan 2006 and by July i was experiencing pain in abdomen and a discomfort in my chest. after several test they found out my "wrap" had twisted on itself and was cutting the blood supply to my stomach off, So needless to say I had my third nissen in August 2006 and that is where all my problems I thought were over until this last year, Evidently during the last nissen the surgeon severed the vagal nerve during the operation. Now i have gastroparesis___my stomach does not work++due to this mishap. So please think carefully about all that and be sure to ask the surgeon any questions you may have. i would definitely go to a bariatric or stomach surgeon who has done several of the redo surgeries...THis gastroparesis is not a cureable disease and now I am having to decide if I want a stomach pump put in or just to have the majority of my stomach taken out. Very difficult either way I choose. I am still young and have to think for the long haul and not the here and now.. good luck with everything...
I had a Nissen Fundoplication 5 days ago.  Mine was recommended due to the atypical symptoms of GERD I experienced.  My chronic reflux caused chronic chemical pneumonia in both lungs.  I was beginning to have a difficult time breathing even at rest.

Now, I am here 5 days out.  I have this terrible pain/pressure in my chest.  I feel hungry, but when I eat the pain is worse and is like that for a few hours after I eat.  When I say eat, I mean things like yogurt, cream of wheat, oatmeal, pudding, italian ice, water... I have not attempted anything solid yet.  I don't have any surgical pain from the incisions.  Just this constant pressure/pain under my sternum.  Sometimes if I press on the area hard enough, I can relieve the pain.

Has anyone else had anything similar to this?  How did you relieve it?  I would love to hear any suggestions or advice you can offer up!!!

Thank you!!!!
Tara
Hi Tara, I had the surgery 5 days ago and i am feeling ok but also have some chest pains. i was wondering how you are doing 3 weeks into it? thanks
HI. I AM 7 DAYS POST OP. I AM SO NAUSEATED I CANT EAT. MD SAID TODAY IT WAS NORMAL. I HAVE BEEN QUESTIONING WHEN I CAN EAT NORMAL. AND HE PUTS ME OFF. HE SAID WE WILL SEE IN A FEW MORE WEEK. I HAVE THAT PRESSURE IN MY CHEST TOO.

I HAD TO HAVE CT SCAN TODAY TO CHECK FOR BLLODCLOT IN MY LUNGS. HAD A REACTION TO DYE. WHAT A FUN DAY. FOUND OUT I HAVE PNEUMONIA IN BOTH LUNGS.

MY PAIN TODAY IS BETTER IN THE CHEST AREA.

WAS WONDERING HOW LONG EVERYONE HAS HAD TO DO SOFT FOODS?????
AND NO CARBINATION????

ANYONE ELSE HAVE PNEUMONIA?