Gastroenterology Community
Pain in RUQ, slightly elevant bilirubin -- what might this be?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi everyone,

I've had pain in my RUQ, under my ribs, for a couple months now (about 3) and went to my GP about 2 months ago. A first test showed high direct and indirect bilirubin levels (about 2.0); a return visit one month later showed decreased elevation (each about 1.5) but still over the 1.0 that's normal. Apparently, no other levels are elevated or suspicious.

At the same time, I've been having constant right upper quadrant pain, as well as a little pain in the center of my abdomen (just below the ribs and some pain on the left side, too. This might be coupled with a very mild, but persistent, headache.  Some notes -

The pain doesn't come / go away after eating (it's around at random times throughout the day)
It gets better/worse/switches sides
It seems worse at night, and best during the day
When I lay down on my stomach (in bed), I feel it more than on my back
I do feel a little out of it, but that might just be me :o)

I'm going in for a RUQ ultrasound this week; is there anything else I should be doing? What else should I be watching out for? And most of all, what on earth could this be?

Thanks for your advice!
David
well couple of things..with those test results that's usually caused by either pancreatitis (even though the organ is generally on the left side and causes sharp pains) but usually that means the liver is sick or backing up prooobably from a sick gallbladder or gallstone(s) pilling up in your gallbladder.

Usually gallbladder issues are in the upper right quadrent.. usually bring on digestive issues..nausea..pain ect.

Or could be some liver problem.  If you've been taking asprine or drinking a lot lately i'd totally stop (esp. on the alchohol).  If you think it's bad or possibly bad for your liver i'd stop immediatly.  Could be a bunch of things with liver but usually it's not felt in the back.  I'm guessing you have a gallbladder issue.  Even if your ultrasound is negative your doctor will probably want a HIDA scan to test for it to see how well it's working.  In the meantime a diet low low in fat..avoid oily foods..apple juice I hear sometimes helps and water and just take it easy on fats.  Anything that makes the liver work harder i'd back off on.  Good luck :S let us know what you figure out (and follow the doctors advice!)
Thanks for the info! I guess I'm just curious to see what the results tell, and that it's easy enough to take care of...
hey you're welcome (sorry didn't see your response) but yeah my mother hand *sand like* gallstones that were not detected on ultrasound so if you do an ultrasound and it's negative (like mine was) don't get talked into stopping there.. get a HIDA scan..sick liver is not a good thing :)  clearly something is wrong in that area.  Hopefully it's just a simple stone passing, and like I said anything low in fats and oils will help that out.  There's also home remedies for gallstones you can google but I was too scared to try it..

good luck! :)