Gastroenterology Community
Pain in the lower left back that radiates to the abdomen.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am a 36yr old female with pain on the lower left side of my back. The pain also radiates to my abdomen and I also have alot of gas. This all started yesterday I have tried pepto-bismol, but it does not help. I was nauseous yesterday, but not today.
Diarrhea, constipation, blood in the stool? Do you think, you have eaten something wrong? Anyone else who tried the same food, have symptoms? It could be food poisoning. On the other hand, gas comes from lot of fibers, as you know. You have regular bowel movements otherwise?

If the pain was colic (persistent cramp) it could be kidney or urether (stone).
my sister had similar symptons (pain in back, side & abdomen), but with great pain and intensity. She also felt sick and nauseous.  It turned out that she had kidney stones.  She was treated by her urologist, and is doing fine.  Also, you might just have a muscle pull, or IBS that is acting up.
I'm sure that it's only something minor that's causing you grief and discomfort. Good Luck!    

My complaint is:  I am 66 years old and lifted weights at the gym for two successive days the weekend before last. Since then, I developed lower/middle back pain which radiates to both sides,  sometimes up under the ribs, alos in the  abdomen. It ssems to change areas. I also have gas pain, and frequently feel that I have to go to the bathroom.  I've been treated for acid reflux for more than a dozen years. (frequent heartburn and stomach pain).   I went from Nexium to Prevacid about 3 months ago, (really no improvement - poss more abdominal & gas pain).  I had my 4th colonoscopy and endoscopy 2 yrs ago - tests were OK re: anything serious. Years ago, they found some polyps, which were removed-they were benign. After taking these tests, I seem to feel OK for awhile, then back to the digesative discomfort. I know that I don't handle stree very well.  
When I have a day without discomfort or pain, I feel that it is a great day.     Help!