Gastroenterology Community
Pain on right side of abdomen just below ribs

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

G'day guys,
I'm 19 years old and I've been having an ongoing issue ever since I was about 8.  Occasionally - probably once every 4-6 months - I will get a dull yet powerful pain in my abdomen just below my ribs on my right side.  It is sore to touch and I think the area might be slightly bloated.  
I usually get the pain a few hours after eating a meal (which I think might be the issue) and it will mostly go away when I wake up in the morning - although it is often very hard to sleep as the pain is quite intense.  Upon waking up, the pain will still be there, however it is nowhere near as strong as it was in the morning and will completely disappear within a day or 2.
I believe (and hope) that it isn't anything major as I've had it for so long and it doesn't cause any problems other than the few hours of discomfort every couple of months.
Personally, I feel that it could be simply due to the overeating of fatty foods which causes a bloating of the intestine.
Not sure if that is possible but it seems to make sense for me.
Also, I usually burp more frequently when I have the pain, but it is not excessive.
I have seen a gastroenterologist who didn't really have an idea.  I've had blood tests and everything is normal.  
I'm just wondering what could be the problem.