Pain on right side under rib cage?!!
  A few weeks ago I began having some minor discomfort on my right side, under the rib cage. About a week ago, I experienced a lot of pain in that same area extending around to the right side of my lower back.  That episode passed, but since then, I have had a constant burning, throbbing-type feeling under the right side of my rib cage. I have had some heartburn and mild nausea at times too. I know I need to make an appointment with my MD, but was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone else. I have talked with a few people who have had problems with their gallbladders and consequently had to had it removed. They, however, said they were in tremendous pain with nausea and vomiting and even touching the area near & around the gallbladder caused extreme pain. I was just wondering if my situation sounds like a gallbladder issue even though the symptoms are mild at this time. I have tried to pay attention to when the symptoms are worse, but can't really pinpoint anything, not even after meals.  Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!
It could still be your gallbladder - but acalculous disease rather than the gallstones that cause those horrible attacks of which your friends speak.  See a gastroenterologist for a HIDA scan to evaluate this problem.  It could also be a problem with the bile duct, pancreatic duct, or the various tiny sphincters that control delivery of bile and pancreatic enzymes to the small intestine.  The gastro doc can check those out as well.  And yes, it's time to go get it checked out.  :-)
do you drink alchole and do you have trouble with acid reflux?
I woke up in the middle of the night in discomfort due to pain under my rib cage  felt like a burning like acid reflux instead, of comming up went in to my liver any way it still bothers me some  time. I'm curious if you have the same symptons
   Mnm
      I have the same pain. I've had all the tests including the HIDA scan. They have found that I have gallbladder disease. I have an appointment with a surgeon. That type of pain whether it's severe or mild is very common when a gallbladder disease progresses. For some it goes away and comes back, for me it's going on 24 hours plus. The rest of your symptoms also point to gallbladder. Get it checked.
I have pain under my right breast to the side. It comes and goes especially when I sit up for a while. I am a dibete so I wonder did it have anything to do with the pain.
Reading your letter is like I wrote it.  I'm having the same identical problems right now. I go this friday for ultra sound on my gallbladder to check for stones. I'm not in severe pain, but a dull annoying steady pain, this has been going on for several weeks now and yesterday, I started to have pain in my back which hurts pretty bad.  Did you ever find out what the problem was?
pain at  rib cage on right side even two years after gallbladder removal.hurts to touch
had same problem started out as a pinching then a constant pressure and pain under right rib cage , got hida scan and abdominal ultra sound they came back normal but found mass in my liver then got ct scan no mass in liver but inflammation of the pylorus and no I am to have an endoscopy after failed triple therapy for ulcer i am on prilosec 20mg 2 times a day having a tough time with it and going in for an endoscopy to figure out the problem ..
I had my gallbladder out one week ago and am now having tremendous pain under my right rib cage thru to my back whereas before surgery I was having nausea and traditional gallbladder attacks due to stones. What has your doctor said about your continued pain after surgery? Thanks.
I too had the pain and pressure under right ribcage and into my back and over time felt like a swollen organ, a pinching for over 2 years.  After hydrascans, ct scans and sonograms that came back normal, I switched primary care provider to an NP that had pain management background.  She knew exactly what the problem was.  There is a muscle that runs from your back to your front and is attached to the underside of your rib cage.  I had a knot in that muscle and she located it by bringing my foot up to my butt and turning my bent knee inward and felt along the side of my rib cage til she **** the tender spot and you can actually feel the knot. I was referred to physiatry who gave me an injection into the knot to break it up and release it.  So far, the pain is gone but the injection site a little tender (just had done yesterday) but the injection isn't too bad, and the pain you feel is the injection into teh musble and only 10-20 seconds - it's a quick procedure.  I am right handed, and I suspect if you're left handed it may affect your left side.  I also had stomach issues and she also discovered I had an ulcer (H.Pilorie sp?) thru a simple but not standard blood test, and I am on heavy antibiotics for that bacteria.  I hope this helps everyone -- it is a frustrating fishing expedition trying to find the problem and many doctors may miss this not having the back ground my NP does in pain management.
I read your post and I think that might be my problem. How are you now? I have pain in my right side and it is constant. It is not horrible but very annoying and worrisome. I have had an ultra sound and blood work. I have dealt with it for several years. My gallbladder is now removed, but didn't need be. I have had my bile duct flushed and still I deal with the annoying pain. I need to know what route  to go to next???
Wow....sounds A LOT like my pains. I have had numerous ultra sounds, 2 hida scans, a CT scan, endoscopy and several other tests. Everythingcomes back normal but it fees as there is something under my rib pushing out sometimes. It will often spread into my back. I wold really liek to see if you are willing to share more information so that I can realy this to my doctors.
I too have had a pain for 2 years on my right side and feel a lump, all my test have come back normal. I have worried and stressed out so much that I even developed alopecia, I have 2 bald spots on my head the size of half dollars. I am going to see about going to see a pain management provider, I printed your comment so MAYBE  I can get some relief. Thanks
i had eat a banna nut mufin  an naw i am in pain under my right reb.
i  can not eat  or i will start harting  help
How have you been feeling after you had the shot,Could you tell me what they call it ,I'm having the same problem.Thank You
This is what I have been experiencing for over a year, and they can't figure out what is causing it--feels like my organs are being squished or something is bulging on my right side.  It is the worst at night when I am laying down, and also acts up while exercising,  but is consistently getting worse.  I have had ultrasounds, Hida scan, endoscopy, colonoscopy, and now they are talking about taking my gall bladder out, but I am not convinced that it's from my gallbladder.  Thanks for the info, and keep us posted...
I too have had every test done under the sun and they all came back fine. The only thing that was a bit high was the bilirubin number. But that could be because I was refraining from drinking any milk or eating any dairy products at the time to rule out lactose intolerance issues. I still feel a slight nagging pinching pain on my right rib cage area. No idea what it is, but this site helped with some possible answers. Thanks.
Please take an Ultrasound, i had also the similar pain(needle like) first i thought i was having kidney stones and ate medication for 1 month (even after this my pain not gone)but when i took ultrasound  it showed that i have enlarged liver. So before taking any guess do proper test and then only take medication

Did that shot/injection work for your muscle pain? I might have a similar problem. Thanks
did you ever find out what the problem was? I know this is years later but this is EXACTLY what im going thru right now, email is ashley-***@**** if you get this. thanks
I would like to talk more about this with you... I have had 100 test and they can't find anything.. What you posted is the same thing I been having for about four years now and I'm at the end of my rope.. Please help me..
ive been having discomfort under my right rib cage since I was 16. I am now 24. My doctor then said it was my rib cage pushing down on my liver. through the years I would notice it usually more so as I gained weight. I had an ultrasound and blood work done a couple months ago and everything was fine. I have anxiety as it is so this has really been bothering me lately. I don't know what is causing it. it seems to get worse if I am leaning on the right side or slouched. im not sure if my weight gain is a cause or not. Have you found anything out?????
Did you ever get tested for h pylori?

I just finished treatment 2 days ago for h pylori. It was two weeks on omeprazole, clarithromycin and Metronidazol for two weeks. The original pain I was having was heartburn, bloating and a pain on my side just under my rib cage. The antibiotics gave me diarrhea several times each day. I still have the diarrhea, as well as the heartburn and pain on my side.

is this pain on my side something else? A hernia? A really bad ulcer? Or is this a sign that the treatment didn't work if I'm experiencing the exact same pains. I've already had ultrasounds done before I was diagnosed with h pylori so it's probably not my gallbladder. I'm continuing to take omeprazole but maybe I should go to the dr to ask for something else? I have a GI appointment in June. I don't know if I can last till then in constant pain like this.
I never found out my problem yet,, Had nerve block's done twice so far by pm and helped the pain for three days... So this isn't working for me,, Still in a lot of pain.. Also had my gall bladder removed thinking that was it...It wasn't that..
Ugh..I have been searching and searching for people like me...I have this pain on my right side...under my left breast...like if my ribs sucked the muscles and skin and pinched everything together...this happens if I twist suddenly, or get up wrong. Gal bladder removed years ago, it's very debilitating for about 10 to 30 seconds and I have to catch my breath as well.  Help!!!!
Same thing happened to me for 4 years.. There is a cure. I was told to stop eating all full fats, no butter , no cheese, no cold cuts, no sugar, no ice cream etc.,. I listened to a very VERY old woman last year, she said we were lucky that mother nature was warning our body, some people get no warnings until its too late. I listened and did what she said. I´ve had no pinching sensation for over a year, until 5 days ago I couldn´t resist cheescake ,ate it BTW delicious! now I´m back to that horrible sensation so its back to mother nature foods for me. Hope this helps !
Do you still have a gallbladder?
My pain is a hands with down from my right breasts and it is a deep pain, under my ribs. It has been getting worse for the last 2 days now its to the point its debilitating. It travels down arround to my lower back. Should I be worried? It just hurts so bad I can not sleep.
Bless you!!! I have been dealing with this same awful pain for over 18 years now and it only gets worse with age. The first doctor I saw about it, said it was stress/anxiety and put me on anti-depressants. After 2 weeks the severe pain attacks had not gone away and the pills only made me feel tired and angry. I tried to ignore it for the next 5 years being careful not to stretch or bend certain ways since that seemed to be the worst triggers. I started having symptoms that my ulcers were back so I went in to see my gastroenterologist and she started me back on Prilosec. The ulcer symptoms faded but the pain did not. After having a sonogram my doctor said I had a large amount of sludge and stones so she removed my gallbladder. This did not resolve the pain but in fact seemed to make it even worse so she scoped my stomach and only found two very small ulcers remaining. I then had to take out a loan to pay for an MRI and CT scan which showed nothing that would be responsible for the type of pain I was experiencing. I have always described the pain as if the muscle were contracting and then forming a fist to try and punch and push its' way through my ribs so the condition you described makes perfect sense to me now!!!! The pain is often so severe that I am on the verge of passing out and cannot breathe until the spasm begins to subside. For days following an episode the entire area feels like a deep bruise and it is difficult to even tolerate wearing a bra. I cannot tell you how many times it was suggested that the pain was "all in my head" "imagined or a physical reaction to stress". Thank you again for sharing your information as it is a tremendous relief knowing it is not only my imagination but also treatable.
how are you now? did they check your liver?
I've been having a pain right where the last rib is on my right side, but it I only feel it if I drink cold liquids and its a dull pain and once the fluid passes that spot it goes away.  Also when I cough or sneeze I will get what feels like a muscle spasm in the same spot.  Anybody ever have something similar?
Seems to be you all might've had a same problem as I do right now. But, none of you may have find out why...
Hoping to find some real answers here..
Has anyone end up finding out what is the real problem is?
My gallbladder has been removed 16 years ago, when I was barely 17.
for past 14 years now, I've had this throbbing type of pain.. sometimes it really bothers me and thinking it may be some other organ infection??? Kind of scared..
Please let me know if any of you might've resolved this issue....