Gastroenterology Community
Pain under the Rib Cage

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pain under the Rib Cage

My questions is:  Does this sound like Gallbladder problems or liver diease?  I am a 55 yr old women that has complained over the last 4 years about pain under the right rib cage (or a bloated full feeling) and have had numberous test to conferm the problem.  My Gastro says gallbladder needs removing and my internest says "no" just hormones.   I have periods of time where my gums hurt and bleed, I have yeast infections and my stomach hurts and under the rib cage hurts.  I just recently went on a trip, did not have a "bm" for 2 days (which is unsual for me) went out to eat and ate reasonable (Shrimp Louie Salad for lunch) ( Sirloin tips, rice and asparagas for dinner)  had a few drinks ( a Martini around 6:00) ( a glass of red wine 9:00) (a Frangelica around 10:00)  Went to bed slept sound until 4:20 woke up sick, dizzy, headache.  I had 4 small glasses of water began to throw-up, I had a large amount of food undigested tasted very bitter and burned my throat.  I have had this happen to me before, same situation.  Eat food early in evening and throw-up hours and hours later.  I drink or did every day a glass or 2 of wine the Martini and Frangelica was an exception.  I just recently started taking hormones which my gyno suggested and I have not felt the greatest I assumed it might be related, but I have been having problems for 4 or 5 years with the hurting under the rib cage.  I had "MRI's and CAT and they determined that I have some liver cysts that my internest says are heritary, and also a Hemigenoma.  My doctor has not suggest any recommendations to make me feel better.  Did not say stop drinking,  I wonder if having my gallbladder out will have a negative affect on my liver?  
In my opinion, your gastro doc is correct: get the gallbladder out.  If it is truly what is causing the problem, the effects on your liver will be nothing but positive.  Why?  Because the liver produces bile to digest fats.  Bile flows from the liver through a duct to the gallbladder where it is stored until it is needed.  When a normal gb contracts, it releases the bile into the small intestine.  In a poorly functioning gb, with or without stones, the bile can't flow properly.  The liver is doing its thing, but the bile is either slowed or stopped from continuing on its journey.  

Once the gb is removed, you'll have a straight open highway for the bile to get from the liver to the small intestine.  Some people have no further problems.  Some people have diarrhea for a few weeks to months while the body adjusts.  There are plenty of people on these boards who have had nothing but trouble with gb removal, but you have to remember that folks who don't have a problem, don't go looking for a place to post the experience.  :-)

Good job on researching everything you can to determine if surgery is right for you.  Right now, you have conflicting opinions from two different doctors, so the ball is in your court.  It's entirely possible you have both problems: gallbladder and hormone issues.  One doesn't exclude the other.