Gastroenterology Community
Pain when swallowing all the way down and feeling like food/drink gets ...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Pain when swallowing all the way down and feeling like food/drink gets stuck

I know I have Acid Reflux. I just had an endoscopy done on Thursday morning (with a Bravo capsule) and haven't gotten the results back yet. I did have to get off the Nexium a week prior to the test but felt alright. Since the test I've had horrible heartburn like I've never had before. I also can't eat or drink anything without difficulty. I've never had that problem before. Every time I swallow, it feels like a lump and it hurts all the way down and it feels like it goes slowly all the way down as if it takes much effort to swallow and for the food to go down to my stomach. It even feels like it almost gets stuck somewhere part of the way down and I try to drink water to push it down. It's weird and very, very uncomfortable. That's how it feels. Even if I drink water, it's the same thing. It doesn't matter what I eat or drink. This is a horrible feeling and it won't go away! Did the endoscopy irritate things or was it getting off the Nexium for awhile? But I've never had this extreme of symptoms before, even before I started taking the Nexium. I am miserable right now and can't enjoy any food or drink at all right now.
Is this all just Acid Reflux or could something else be going on? I hope to find out the results of the endoscopy by the end of the week but I guess everything must have looked ok off hand. Could Acid Reflux or GERD really be this bad?
What you're experiencing is probably rebound reflux from going 'cold turkey' off the nexium. It can really be bad, but should start to tamp down when the meds kick in fully again.
Wow, well that's not good then, is it? I mean, that I would feel worse after stopping the Nexium than I ever did before starting it! Some day I hope to wean myself off of the Nexium as I don't want to become too dependent on it or any medicine but apparently I'm already dependent on it. I wonder how I'd be able to ever get off then? I don't want to take it forever!