Gastroenterology Community
Painful hiccups
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Painful hiccups

I have random hiccups threw the day. They happen randomly and at all times of day, they are loud and sometimes painful and I've had them as long as I can remember. I also have heartburn nearly daily and have been diagnosed with depression and an anxiety disorder if that helps. Any ideas ?
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  The hiccups could be related to the heartburn.  Have you tried any PPI's or H2 blockers?
Blank
I have, they stop the heartburn but the hiccups stay.
Blank
681148_tn?1285160820
What works best for me to stop hiccups is to fill the largest glass I have with water and I hold my breath and drink as much water as fast as I can without coming up for air.  This seems to work whether I've used the PPI meds or not.  Somehow this massages the diaphragm and makes it stop these spasms that are also known as hic-ups.  Every once in a while I get the hic-ups even when I know I haven't eaten anything that should have been irritating to the gut and haven't eaten it too fast, so they do just happen.  Anyway, we all need water, and at least this trick is something you can try for free.  

No weird parlor tricks involved or any other peculiar home remedy.  But, it is important to drink the water in the manner I mentioned.  Normal slow water drinking won't work.
Blank
This definitely could be related to your anxiety disorder.  Would you say that your anxiety is currently well controlled or not?
Blank
not at all really.
Blank
Well this definitely could be causing your problems then.  I would recommend you look into therapy, medications, and natural changes (ex. more exercise) to see if you can get your anxiety under better control and hopefully that will help the hiccups.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...